3d modelling problem.

uzixs911

hi every one . i have a problem in 3d modellin . i am dmodellin a three storey building . now have completed all but the file is taking to much time in saving n loading . it takes 10 minutes to save a file and furthur it hags also during the operation.

i am using autocad 2013 system is i5 with 4 gb ram. please help me

in my view i should increase ram ???? what u say ?

That might be worth doing.

What is the file size of the drawing?

Have you purged and audited the drawing?

Can you break it up into multiple drawings that can be xreffed into a "master" drawing?

well i will try purging and auditing it ..

about xreffing . i am making some parts in a new file n will then attach with it through copy paste.

then will take it to max for rendering .

can you explain what you meant by master drawing ???

n please tell me because i am new to 3d modelling in autocad. thanks

The "master" drawing would be the one into which you would xref various parts of your 3D model. When saved this drawing would be significantly smaller in file size than the one you are working with now.

What is the file size of your present drawing?

Aren't you currently having problems with your 3ds Max setup re: V-Ray?

my file size is 16 mb.

yes also having trouble with max :(

ok i have purged and auditid the file ..its still the same so now will go to make seperate models files and then wil merge with this one

thinking to increase ram to 16 gb..n i hope it solves problems cuz have to do alot of modelling now:(

Did you use the command line version of purge? It is the one that is preceded by a dash like this: -purge. First purge Regapps. Then do a Purge > All.

16GB of RAM should help some. STOP!

In your other thread you say your computer is 32-bit. You can't run more than 4GB of RAM in a 32-bit system technically speaking. If you have 4GB of RAM now are you utilizing the 3GB switch in your boot.ini file? How much RAM does your system say it is recognizing? Note: It won't be the full 4GB.

If, as according to your other thread you are using Windows 7 32-bit, you will gain nothing from more RAM, in general 32-bit will only use 3GB of RAM and that is with the 3GB switch.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240617

Can you provide your complete computer specifications including your graphics card? Is hardware acceleration enabled?

At work I have Windows 7 32-bit and can handle some pretty large 3D files.

hi every one . i have a problem in 3d modellin . i am dmodellin a three storey building . now have completed all but the file is taking to much time in saving n loading . it takes 10 minutes to save a file and furthur it hags also during the operation.

i am using autocad 2013 system is i5 with 4 gb ram. please help me

in my view i should increase ram ???? what u say ?

3D modeling and rendering is a lot more demanding than 2D CAD drafting. If you are going to be doing a lot of 3D work, as you said, it is essential that you upgrade your computer. 8GB RAM is the absolute minimum. Any less and you will experience problems when trying to do large scale architectural renderings. Especially when you take your model into Studio Max and start adding materials and lights and try to render with Vray. If you only have 4GB RAM, Studio Max will stall on the rendering and give you an "out of memory" error and abort the render.

As mentioned by ReMark and SLW210, in order to upgrade your RAM you will have to upgrade your operating system to 64 bit. You may also need to upgrade your video card. Please provide your full computer specs.

thanks cad 64 slw210 and remark.... well i have reliazed my problem.

i have 32 bit operating system and windows 7 .. ram is 4gb currently no graphics card provided by my company. now i am upgrading it to 16 gb ram with 64 bit operating system and both 3d max n autocad 2013 64 bit..

When the company upgrades your system please make sure it includes a dedicated graphics card. In my opinion the onboard graphics chips are not the best performers when it comes to handling large 3D drawings.

Did you retry the purge command like I suggested earlier? That's the command line version with a dash in front of it like this: -purge.

You are wasting your money on upgrading if you do not get a decent dedicated graphics card.

Agreed. Without a good graphics card there really is no point in trying to do architectural modeling. Your viewport performance is going to suffer and that's going to make working on projects very frustrating and difficult, if not impossible. Rather than upgrading your current machine, I think the company should purchase a new 3D workstation. Especially since they are planning on having you do a lot of this sort of work.