Copying any object from file brings tons of font styles with it

We recently received some files from a lighting consultant. One of the electrical designers here noticed that when he copied some of the lights to another drawing the copy/paste function lagged big time.

After playing with the drawing for a little, I noticed that any object copied from their drawings brings over a ton of font styles with it. Even drawing and copying a line on layer 0 brings over the styles.

I ran an audit and purge. Used the -PURGE to try and get more out of the drawing. We tried recreating the drawing in various ways and no matter what, these styles keep getting copied over.

Anyone know what would cause this and if there's a fix for it?

If a CAD file helps, let me know and I'll attach one.

Thanks for any help.

If it's a one or two time thing and you just want the clean geometry to get moving on, then SaveAs R12 DXF and "select the objects" (don't just SaveAs the entire drawing).

It's probably either what ReMark is leaning towards (the MS linetype bug, I think...) or some other quasi referencing thing going on.

The SaveAs>R12DXF>Select Objects trick works almost every time for me when I'm just in a hurry and I don't have time to stop and fix the whole problem (or don't care because I just need the objects and don't care about the source DWG)

saveas2.png