Scaling Blocks

slovenc0417

My colleague at work has a problem. He was given a drawing to revise that was originally scaled at 1/8", but it needs to be 3/32". I know you can scale text so that it scales up by insertion point, but can the same be done with blocks. Of course, cleaning up is inevitable, but if such a thing was possible it certainly would make things easier.

If there is no such feature, I suggested that he scale up each block in block editor.

We are using ACAD 2014.

Why don't you test it and then come back and share the information with us. We'll be right here when you get back. I think the method might work but a lisp routine would be much faster in my opinion.

Recall that the OP wants to scale in reference to the insertion point.

I was questioning Mike's suggestion merely because he suggested using the Properties palette which I agree would be fine if it were just one block.

Edited by ReMark

Why don't you test it and then come back and share the information with us. We'll be right here when you get back. I think the method might work but a lisp routine would be much faster in my opinion.

It wouldn't work, the scale command will scale all selected items based on a single point, so if for example you had 2 blocks of 10 units each with a gap of 10 units between them then using the scale command to reduce them by half would give you 2 blocks of 5 units but also 5 units apart, the OP would require 2 blocks of 5 units but remaining 10 units apart. So lisp is the only reasonable option.

Qselect, open properties, then change the scale. Wouldn't that work?

Properties will work fine for multiple blocks and different blocks at the same time. No lisp necessary for blocks.

The only drawback I had missed mentioning is that if the blocks were mirrored at one point not about its base point on of the scales will be a negative number, when updating the scales the block will mirror itself again giving some undesired results.

I apologize for this, but I should have been clearer on my initial post.

I used SCALETEXT as an example of what I wanted to do with blocks. I mentioned scaling by insertion point. What I really need is a way to scale the block from its center, regardless of its insertion point. As I sit here and type this and think more about it, I cannot see how that is possible because there really is no "center point" defined in a block. It's placement is solely defined by its insertion point.

I would think that SCALETEXT works because the inner workings of ACAD already define all the various "justification points" of mtext. In other words, if you entered all your mtext as top left justified, you could scale that text from the bottom center point because ACAD internally defines all the possible justification points. However, when you create a block, the only reference point ACAD can identify is the insertion point you choose.

I believe if the blocks utilized a combination of annotative and dynamic properties that this would be fairly easy to do but without them code would be needed to ask for base point.

Unfortunately you have now changed the rules of the game. Obviously the answer I gave you (re: scale by insertion point lisp) won't work. Yes, it would have been nice if we knew all the details up front. Sorry, but I do not have a lisp routine that will work the way you want. That doesn't mean there isn't one out there but only that I don't know of one at this time. I hope you find what you are looking for.