Dropping a DWF or DWG onto Google Earth

lkenshalo

I have a friend who wants to drop a DWF(or DWG) file from AutoCAD into Google Earth - any ideas on how to make that happen?

A few searches and conversations with my peers have yielded no results...

There was an AutoCAD extension for Google Earth from Autodesk labs, but I believe it was retired.

Now you have to purchase an extension from 3rd party. One of them is CAD Earth.You can have 30 days trial from Autodesk Exchange.

Try to download it here.

Hi

The Autodesk Labs app was PublishDWGtoGE but only supported up to AutoCAD 2012 before being withdrawn. An alternative add-in is PlexEarth.

GlobalMapper does a good job of converting .DWGs to .KML/.KMZ

Thanks Guys - Here's the reply I got form the CAD manager over at USKH up here in Anchorage, Alaska -

"No simple way to import a DWF into a Google earth map (kmz).

With the help of 3rd party applications, a KMZ (Google Earth) file may be created from a DWG file. However, the simple method of exporting to the Google Earth format was taken out of Autodesk products with release 2012. Reason, Autodesk and Google could not come to an agreement on the use and terms of the Google API.

Civil 3D 2012 does have an Export to KMZ (Google) format feature (removed for 2013 and 2014).

Sorry now easy way. Autodesk need to address this feature flaw. Many are asking for it."

I'm going to play with these plugins and post some tips about there usability, thanks again fellas.

In AutoCAD WS there is a Google Underlay view, where you can (with patience) drop your drawing onto Google Earth. You cannot save the view outside AutoCAD WS.

Here is a screen shot of one that I did just now.

GoogleUnderlay.JPG

Did you consider importing the dwg file into Sketchup and then use Sketchup to position it in Google Earth? I don't believe the import features are included in the free version. You may need the $500 Sketchup Pro version.

It would be an interesting exercise to create a KML file from the line coordinates in your AutoCAD drawing. You would need to convert the AutoCAD coordinates to Lat/Long decimal degrees. I would start by creating a polygon of known size in Google Earth in the area of interest and saving it as a kml file. Open the kml file in notepad. This should give you an idea of the format you need for creating your own kml file. You can use the Export IGS or if simple 2D geometry the list command to generate a list of x y points you can convert to lat/long with Excel. I find the Excel text to columns feature handy for this. Determine an appropriate offset and scaling value then use the Excel concatenate command to create the coordinates for the kml file. Copy and paste these values into the kml file you exported from Google Earth and use File Open to merge it in GE.