Extending both ways in single go

Usually when i extend the line using ex enter enter, it extends to one direction only. I have to click one by one on either of it end points to let it extend to both extremes wherever it intersect any other line. Is there a way i click in its middle and it extends to both directions in a single go and not one by one like we do usually? I'm using autocad 2012

It will be extended in both directions (for sure, if there were valid boundary entities at both extremities) is instead of picking the line, you will use "Crossing" selection including its middle.

• 2 weeks later...
It will be extended in both directions (for sure, if there were valid boundary entities at both extremities) is instead of picking the line, you will use "Crossing" selection including its middle.

I have to be precise in this thing. getting my green dotted box as I drag right to left is tedious. Moreover this trick is useful if the line to be extended is not intersected by any other line. If it is intersected by other lines then this trick doesn't work.

EXTEND...double tap the Enter key. Now all your lines can be extended from any end.

Extending a set of AutoCAD lines using .NET (in both directions). Basic coding example...http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2010/02/extending-a-set-of-autocad-lines-using-net.html

Edited by ReMark

EXTEND...double tap the Enter key. Now all your lines can be extended from any end.

Extending a set of AutoCAD lines using .NET (in both directions). Basic coding example...http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2010/02/extending-a-set-of-autocad-lines-using-net.html

I'm facing the same problem as stated earlier. I did the same thing

extend, enter, enter.

But same result. I have to manually click on either end to extend. If I want the command to be successful as in both directions, i have to ensure the midpoint of the line is selected when I make the green rectangle while dragging right to left. Moreover the limit to where I extend have to be visible in the zoomed area, I have to zoom out to ensure the command works.

My version is Autocad 2012. And i don't know how to use codes. I'm a simple user. Can you please elaborate how to use the code?

I'm facing the same problem as stated earlier. I did the same thing

extend, enter, enter.

But same result. I have to manually click on either end to extend. If I want the command to be successful as in both directions, i have to ensure the midpoint of the line is selected when I make the green rectangle while dragging right to left. Moreover the limit to where I extend have to be visible in the zoomed area, I have to zoom out to ensure the command works.

My version is Autocad 2012. And i don't know how to use codes. I'm a simple user. Can you please elaborate how to use the code?

I don't know why it's not working on your end.

I drew a simple horizontal line and a vertical one on either side and it worked just fine.

Extend, Enter, Enter.

It will ask you to select a line to extend. Normally it processes which side to extend by determining which side of the midpoint you selected. You can, however, fool it into extending both sides by selecting the line you want to extend via a crossing window (the one that goes from right to left) and ensuring that the midpoint of the line is contained within that crossing window. This essentially tells the command that you want to extend the section of line on both sides of the midpoint, and does so accordingly, extending both ends out at the same time.

I don't know why it's not working on your end.

I drew a simple horizontal line and a vertical one on either side and it worked just fine.

Extend, Enter, Enter.

It will ask you to select a line to extend. Normally it processes which side to extend by determining which side of the midpoint you selected. You can, however, fool it into extending both sides by selecting the line you want to extend via a crossing window (the one that goes from right to left) and ensuring that the midpoint of the line is contained within that crossing window. This essentially tells the command that you want to extend the section of line on both sides of the midpoint, and does so accordingly, extending both ends out at the same time.

okay, but you didn't talk about whether the horizontal line was intersected by any other lines or not. Also what about the zoom level? Is it compulsory that the limits of extension have to be visible within the zoom area?

And can anyone please tell about the code usage procedure?

I don't understand the urgency for this. You are talking about eliminating one click. (BTW, the crossing window selection does not do that. Same number of clicks for the same result.) Why is it so important to eliminate just one click?

I was thinking the same thing when this thread started but I was afraid to ask. Maybe the OP has hundreds of lines to extend in both directions at once?

okay, but you didn't talk about whether the horizontal line was intersected by any other lines or not.

If you're extending to the nearest line (the Extend, Enter, Enter option), then any line caught in the crossing window will be affected by the command.

Also what about the zoom level? Is it compulsory that the limits of extension have to be visible within the zoom area?

If you're extending to the nearest intersection (Extend, Enter, Enter), yes. If you pick the place you plan to extend to (Extend, Enter, Select, Enter), then no.

I was thinking the same thing when this thread started but I was afraid to ask. Maybe the OP has hundreds of lines to extend in both directions at once?

That... would definitely save a lot of clicks...