annotation ?

richard3009

annotative text, never really got my head round this, am I correct in understanding the purpose for this is to display the information text on a drawing at the same size regardless of the printed sheet, setting it up however is a real headached anyone care to try and simplify it

What are you having trouble with?

I understand that is a tough nut to crack. It took me a while to "get it". Here's my brief synopsis.

It goes beyond text. Blocks can also be annotative. Think of it like your linetype scale settings. You've got a few settings to deal with. The (annotative) scale of model space, the object, and the viewport(s). In order for an object to display at a given scale, it needs to have that scale assigned to it and the viewport needs to be set to that scale. Model space has a couple of options. You can display just one of the assigned scales at a time or you can display all of them. The one that model space will be the prominent (brighter) one. The others will be faded. One edit to an annotative object changes the display for all the scales. Now here is the really cool part. Each one of those "objects" representing the different scale can be in a different position allowing you to move larger "objects" off of nearby stuff it may be overlapping and the smaller ones to location(s) that look good.

Depending on the field you're in you don't necessarily have to use annotative scaling. We place all our dimensions and text in our layouts. Very simple to set up and there is only one real variable to be concerned about and that's making sure your dimensions are associative which is not the same thing as annotative.

Edited by ReMark

ok got it so the reason the text or dimension in model space is displayed in numerous sizes during edit is because those are the sizes of text that are needed to produce the size say 2.5 on a print at the specified scale in layout.

Hatches, MultiLeaders and Tolerances can all be annotative too.

AutoCAD may temporarily display all of the annotative scales in your current viewport. If you find that distracting you can change the value of SELECTIONANNODISPLAY to "0" and that will turn the display off.

"I try to tackle something daily I don't understand."

I endeavor to do the same but tackling Republicans all day can get tiresome not to mention it hurts after a while. LoL

You're welcomed Richard. Our motto is "To serve and direct."