RULESURF command tabulations not produced properly

BoroCAD

Hi,

I had the same issue yesterday but I solved it by changing the SURFTAB1 variable but today it didn't solve the problem straight away so can anyone give me a better understanding of the RULESURF command (particularly between a curve and a straight line).

I've attached a picture to explain my situation.

The top picture (white lines) are the boundaries.

The bottom left picture shows the surface generated incorrectly because the curve is part of a hole detail and should not be tabulated like this.

The bottom right picture shows the surface generated correctly.

The thing that confuses me is that I can get the correct result by clicking either the line or the curve first BUT if somewhere near the 'middle' of the curved line (near the lowest point in this orientation) is clicked the surface is produced incorrectly. However, if the curve is clicked closer to the 'ends' or extremes of the line then it looks correct. (I hope this makes sense).

Can anyone explain what variables control the way a RULESURF surface is produced (is it just the SURFTAB1 variable) or is there something more to it because my results are clearly dependent on the position I select the curved line?

Cheers

RULESURF COMMAND.png

This is a normal behaviour - the parsing of the curves will be started from the end closer to the point picked for edge selection. By picking in the middle's area, you may indicate a point that isn't in the side you thought to be. To understand the said behaviour, try to select first both curves at their left ends, respectivelly second time one at left end and the other at its right end.

MSasu - Thanks for the quick answer. As long as the click point location is the factor that was affecting my surfacing operation then I can learn the correct clicking behaviour.

As an extra question - I've just got to another point in the model and this is the appearance. This doesn't make it easy to produce additional surfaces around this using the 3DFACE command. Any ideas? I'd like it without the cross-over point.

RULESURF COMMAND 2.png