Having trouble with terminology

cad_newb

It's been so long since I've used ACAD, I've pretty much reverted to being a noob.

What I'm trying to do is make a 3D model from a JPG to have it water jetted. I know it's possible, and I'm about 99.997% sure there's a tutorial for it somewhere on the internet, but I can't come up with the right words to search for it.

I imported the image in using the Reference toolbar, and then tried scaling it up to size (using bolt patterns and sizes) but for some reason I just can't get it to work. The old saying "Do what I'm thinking, not what I'm telling you to do" comes to mind.

For car enthusiasts: I'm making an aluminum spacer plate for a cast aluminum dry sump oil pan to clear a stroker application. And I'm too cheap to have the water jet company make the 3D model :D

Imported the image as opposed to using the IMAGEATTACH command?

So you are basically tracing the image over is that about the gist of it?

Did you try using the Scale command with the Reference option?

If you know most of the dimensions, why not simply draw it in 2D? Unless they are using a 5 axis and need bevel information, 2D with notes on thickness and other relevant information should suffice. I'd be concerned about the perspective of the JPEG skewing your results.

why not upload the image (JPG file) here, and someone might do a quick model for you. if it is not a complicated part, shouldn't take more than few minutes to model it.

Imported the image as opposed to using the IMAGEATTACH command?

So you are basically tracing the image over is that about the gist of it?

Did you try using the Scale command with the Reference option?

A) I used imageattach

B) That's what I was hoping I could do. I'm such a cheater

c) Sure did. I measured two holes on the piece I'm trying to replicate. .350" diameter about 1.980" apart. I scaled with reference, and when I inquiry'ed my two points, they were 3.xxx" apart. So I did something goofy.

If you know most of the dimensions, why not simply draw it in 2D? Unless they are using a 5 axis and need bevel information, 2D with notes on thickness and other relevant information should suffice. I'd be concerned about the perspective of the JPEG skewing your results.

Taking the measurements is the tricky part, not much lines up with each other.

The water jet company I'm in contact with said a 2D drawing as well. I should probably take some refresher courses on this stuff :P

why not upload the image (JPG file) here, and someone might do a quick model for you. if it is not a complicated part, shouldn't take more than few minutes to model it.

Tempting, but I like the learning process. If my brain starts to hurt, I'll certainly give that thought. This is the layout I'm trying to duplicate. The bolt holes are all over the place.

OS30697R_P04_TOP.jpg

If your image had a higher resolution, I could do a better job. Try this one, you'll have to scale it. I'd scale it using the overall length left to right if known. It will cut down on the errors. The image is just too pixelated to really see the definite edge both inside and out. You'll have to add clean circles as my conversion picked up the edges of the pixels.

Edit to add: You'll also have to smooth the arcs as again, it averaged the pixels. Compare it to your drawing and see if its any better. This is a quick test to see if it helps you.

gasket 1a.dwg

• 1 year later...

I had a question regarding terminology. hopefully someone can help??.

im trying to figure out what is the the name of the autocad term that describes the letter or combination of letters that are needed to type in a command?

I had a question regarding terminology. hopefully someone can help??.

im trying to figure out what is the the name of the autocad term that describes the letter or combination of letters that are needed to type in a command?

You posted this same question in two other threads.