dl debug in 64 bit

metaldan

Hi

I make a DLL with Visual Studio 2010 Express And i have some trouble to debug it in a win 7 64 bit machine

Before, I use Win xp 32 bit and Autocad 2009 32 bit. I was able to edit in debug mode while my code is running in Autocad ( i think it called Edit and continu capability )

Since last mounth, i have a new computer ( win 7, 64 bit, Visual Studio Express 2010 , autocad 2009 64bit) and i Can't edit my code in debug mode.

Did somones have a solution???

It's a pain in the ass to : press debug, load the Dll in autocad, open a drawing, Execute my code, look where they stop, close Autocad, modify my code, and repeat , and repeat....

Excuse my English I'am a french guy.

It is indeed a pain. Unfortunately, that is the state of affairs with regard to debugging .NET assemblies on 64 bit AutoCAD. The broader perspective, programming for 64 bit windows, has improved as Visual Studio 2013 supports 'Edit and Continue'. It is just that AutoCAD has characteristics that short circuit the effort.

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2013/11/debugging-autocad-using-visual-studio-2013.html

It may be beneficial to keep a 32 bit setup handy while developing for AutoCAD.

It may be beneficial to keep a 32 bit setup handy while developing for AutoCAD.
Yep, set to compile for AnyCPU so that the same DLL works on both 32/64 bits. Then have your VS installed on a Virtual Machine / dual boot - 32bit Windows, together with a 32bit ACad. At least that's still possible until ACad cannot work on 32bit anymore.

Strange though, if you make DLL's for Revit then it works perfectly fine. You don't even need VS, you can compile & debug in something like SharpDevelop. ADesk's even included SD in Revit as a macro design platform to use C#/VB.Net/F#/etc. (similar to how VBA used to work).

To make your debug process even simpler, you can add some Lisp into your acad's ACadDoc.LSP file to NetLoad all DLL's if the active directory is named debug (as VS does when starting the acad process when debugging). An old example of mine: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?107419-The-VSTA-language-and-other-NET-stuff&p=1032084&viewfull=1#post1032084