Cannot Set Viewport Scale

Bill Tillman

I have a drawing I made in model space with both 2D and 3D details. I seem to have two problems with this.

1. In working with the 3D details I often set the ShadeView to Realistic to see what it's going to look like. Now each time I save the drawing it resets to Realistic shadeview, when I need it to stay in 2DWireFrame.

2. The real problem though is that no matter what I try with viewports in the layout tabs, I cannot set the scale for the viewport. I set it to 1/4"=1'-0" and it immediately resets to Custom. The size of the objects in the viewport do not change size as planned and I'm stuck with Custom Scale. The viewports are not locked and even if I create new ones, I end up with the same problem.

In working with the 3D details I often set the ShadeView to Realistic to see what it's going to look like. Now each time I save the drawing it resets to Realistic shadeview, when I need it to stay in 2DWireFrame.
I've always encountered this exact issue when I use a Camera to set a perspective view. I've never been able to make it go away, so my workaround is to copy/paste everything into a fresh file and drag/drop all drawing assets (Layouts, Layers, Blocks, Styles, etc) through the Design Center.

Wouldn't know where to begin for the 2nd problem you're having.

I don't know a lot about 3D AutoCad, but I am pretty sure any 3D view cannot be scaled. Only a 2D view that is directly smack on the viewing plane can have a true scale. At least one cannot apply a scale in any precise sense to a perspective view, such as a photograph. I would guess a 3D view must be a 'Custom" scale in a viewport since all the lines are not on the view plane.

Thanks everyone. Here is the drawing file in question. I have several layout tabs in use and on only one of them do I not have this problem. The TitleSheet layout tab is fine, but the others exhibit this problem. When I add a new viewport to these tabs, it's impossible to set the scale for the new viewport. I have honestly never encountered this before.

CustomScaleProblem.dwg

I see no mention of prespective in the OP's original post.

3D views, such as isometric, can have a scale assigned to the viewport.

Bill: I have the front elevation on layout A1 sitting there right now with a scale of 1/4"=1'-0" assigned to the viewport. Is that what you wanted checked?

OK...I've added a new viewport to show the plan view. It too has a scale of 1/4"=1'-0".

BTW...I'm a bit taken back by the fact that several of your assigned layer colors have been overridden. Is that a standard practice at your company?

Now I have added a new viewport and have it showing a 3D perspective view of your model. It too has a scale of 1/4"=1'-0".

I think I'm done here.

Thanks ReMark, this is a template that I've worked with in the past. I can't answer your question on the color changes without reviewing it further. But if you're able to place a new viewport on Layout Tab A1, and then set it to a scale of 1/4"=1'-0", then you're a better man than me. I cannot get anything set into this layout tab to hold a scale. No matter what I do, it goes back to Custom Scale as soon as I click leave the setting.

What I have done is to start a new drawing from scratch and I copied and pasted everything over. It's working fine in the new drawing. Not sure what's up, but the trouble is the client want's his drawings yesterday so I'm going to have to revisit this issue after I submit.

I am at a loss to explain why it worked for me and not for you.

Given the time constraint you are working under I can understand why you can't pursue this further.

Good luck.

I never said one could not assign a scale to a viewport with a 3D view in it. My point was that assigning any standard scale to a 3D view is pointless. None of the objects are going to be on the view plane anyway, and they will not measure to the scale set.

A Custom scale is good enough. Fill the view space and be done with it.

Download my 8.5 x 11 pdf, print @ actual size, and measure. It's a 3D Isometric with dimensions, Scale is 6" = 1'-0".

Now the fact that the viewports would not hold a scale assignment is probably some sort of internal error in that particular drawing. I can't recreate it either.

I disagree. A custom scale is not good enough. What? We're eyeballing views now? Come on Dana, I hold you to a much higher standard than that.

I disagree. A custom scale is not good enough. What? We're eyeballing views now? Come on Dana, I hold you to a much higher standard than that.
Eyeballing? That pdf viewport is set to 6" = 1'-0" and nothing measures to exactly half of the shown dimensions. You do understand that none of the lines in a 3D view are on the view plane, right? Since no matter what scale you set to a 3D view, the program only gives you an eyeballed image anyway, custom is good enough. I suggest that I can scale the view more accurately by drawing in paperspace, a 30 or 60 deg line equaling exactly half one of the shown dimensions and then scaling the view to reference. Then of course, the scale on the viewport properties list would again be "Custom".

I bet you can't; but you think you can. No matter. If "close enough" works for you it makes no difference to me. Hire me when you want you property surveyed.

I bet you can't; but you think you can. No matter. If "close enough" works for you it makes no difference to me. Hire me when you want you property surveyed.
We are specifically referring to a 3D isometric view, in a viewport with a scale set to 6" = 1'-0". Printed out at actual size, the 11" side measures at 4 1/2" which is not to scale. It should have measured to 5 1/2". The 8" side measures to 3 11/16", also not to scale. They measure the same in paperspace as they do on the hard copy.

I have seen many instances in surveying where "close enough" Had to work. My back yard has a nail in a tree with surveyor's ribbon on it. The actual property marker, if there is still one down there is about 10 inches inside the root ball of a 25" dia. live oak. Of course, the recorded location of the actual marker is what is important, and not the nail in the tree.