Cross Sections Challenge

zars

I'm working for a mining company and one of the things I do is to create cross sections.

When I joined here I had to make the cross sections manually, now I have some scripts which are helpful but to create one section takes a lot of time :( .

I have a map with the topography and the drill holes, This is what I do:

1.- Draw a polyline (the cross section length).

2.- Draw the topo profile manually.

3.- Check what holes will be in this CS and project them.

4.- Add the depth and the data per each hole.

Right now we're only interested in one mineral, let's say Au and these values are located in the leftside of each hole, but it'll become a mess when they want to see more results :cry: .

So what I'm looking for is a program or function that allows me to do this:

1.- Create the topo profile (with only picking points)

2.- Identify the holes that would be in that section (I already have a collar file)

3.- Ask me which values I would like to see in the section (in the left and the right sides, and I have a file with these values too).

Suggestions will be well received, thanks in advance :geek: .

Can't help with all of your query, but I had a similar problem trying to assign seabed bathymetry points onto a 2d polyline. A colleague created a 3d wire mesh from the bathymetry points and then I could created a 3d polyline along the route required - gave up after 12,000 points.

Found a program called QUICKSURF which is a basic DTM mapping program which allows you to drape 3d points over 2d polylines creating your cross section. Its easy to pick up / quick and you can export data in/out as required. I got a 30 day demo of the program from:

http://www.rockware.com/

Hope this of some help

Thank you Waltpeat.

I already checked those programs (that and another one called drillhole explorer) and I can't do what I need with them.

Well, I'll keep waiting for divine lighting or a miracle.

I realise what I want to do is complicated.

Does anyone know a lisp routine for generating the topo profile???

I guess I'll have to keep adding the data to each hole with scripts by now, anyway if anyone gets more info about this please let me know it.

Alex.

I may be able to help find routine to create cross-sections. Questions:

-how is elevation determined? From polylines with elevations? 3d polylines? TIN's/3d faces?

-by "picking points", do you mean picking with cursor vertices of the cross-section "cut" line?

-is profile drawn at 1:1 scale? With Grid? Stationing?

And as far as "adding data to the hole" you'll have to translate that into AutoCADese for me.

Guest Alan Cullen

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve....I'm in Civil Engineering, so I guess there are similarities there.....

Anyway, I'll give you one quick way to do your cross section profile. I assume you have the chainage and level for each point along the cross section. Simply draw the profile using the chainage for each point as the X (Easting) coord and the points level as the Y (Northing) coord. So you draw the profile by entering CH,RL for each point (X,Y).

When the cross section is drawn, move it out of the way so you can draw the next one.

We use a Civil Design package called "12D Model". It allows you to create a terrain model and then do all kinds of whoopee things with it.

Questions:

-how is elevation determined? From polylines with elevations? 3d polylines? TIN's/3d faces?

-by "picking points", do you mean picking with cursor vertices of the cross-section "cut" line?

-is profile drawn at 1:1 scale? With Grid? Stationing?

1.- It is determined by polylines with elevations.

2.- Yes, I'd like to pick the vertices.

3.- Yes, yes, yes.

Adding data to the hole

http://www.geocities.com/legionzars/section.pdf

As you can see, each hole has a circle and a line which represents its length, also has small lines that represent how the hole was drilled, for example from 0 to 2 then from 2 to 4, etc. For each part of that hole we have results that must be located (so far) in the left side of the hole but also I want to have the option to add data to the right side.

I assume you have the chainage and level for each point along the cross section. Simply draw the profile using the chainage for each point as the X (Easting) coord and the points level as the Y (Northing) coord. So you draw the profile by entering CH,RL for each point (X,Y).

By chainage and level, do you mean the topography with the elevations? and I'm not sure if I understand everything you say, with this method drawing the section will be automatic or will I have to draw it manually?

Thanks for replying and helping me.

Hey guys, I'm aware that what I was asking for is too complicated and requieres a lot of work.

So don't worry, but it would be really helpful if I could get a lisp routine to generate the topography profile and if you know where I can get it, please let me know, help would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.

I was sure there were routines like that to be found...but I found only the description of one but the link didn't work. You might be able to track it down through the VAUS organization.

http://www.vaus.org/CADvisory/1999/December.htm

Thanks CarlB, I made a research about it but found nothing, anyway I'll keep searching.

I'm kind of "Hoping the best but Expecting the worst" a miracle still can show up.

Guest Alan Cullen

Alex,

I'll try a different approach to your problem.....

You have the topography and the sections (plan location) you need with the borehole locations along the section. What you are trying to achieve is to draw the section profile, mark the borehole locations, and then add the assay results of the borehole to the section you have drawn.

Getting the profile of the section is easy if you have a program that works with or creates digital terrain models, and can extract surface profiles from that terrain model.

Alternatively, you will have to manually scale (off a hardcopy map) along the section line, producing a list of distances from the start point of the section (called Chainage) and read the elevation (called level).

In Autocad you can draw a series of lines by entering the coorinates (Easting, Northing) of the end points. This is a plan view of the lines....You can also draw a section profile the same way...by entering coordinates of the segment end points, only instead of entering the Easting you enter the Chainage (distance) and for the Northing enter the level (elevation). The result is a section view of the drill line (not a plan view). You can then add the borehole data to the section at the relevant points.

You may be able to get mining specific software to automate the process if you hunt around, but be advised, it will cost plenty of dollars....

P.S. I was a mining/exploration surveyor for many years.

Alan,

Thanks for translating what I want to do to, you described it all.

So far we don't have survey software, so I have to draw everything manually (as you can picture it takes me a lot of time, even when I already have some scripts that help me a bit.)

To create the topo profile is what takes more time, that's why I was asking for a routine to simplify it.

We don't have budget for a survey software, though if we'd find one that can do all what you said, my boss could think about it. I guess he would be willing to pay from 500 to 1000, provided all the process would be automatic.

Thanks for the attention and the help.

Guest Alan Cullen

Alex,

Unfortunately for you the software that could automate your process costs about $10,000 (Aus). What it does is strip off a profile along your drill line, and produces a longitudinal section along the drill line, complete with borehole locations marked on it. This long sect can then be imported into Autocad for enhancement. It also does a million other things that are Civil, Survey and mining related.

Unfortunately for you the software that could automate your process costs about $10,000 (Aus).

Yeah, I know, I've been checking some of them, but we didn't have budget to buy them, so I guess I'll keep drawing them as I used to do it.

Anyway, thanks for the help and the attention and thanks to Carl for the routine it worked OK.

Greets, Alex 8) .

• 2 years later...
I was sure there were routines like that to be found...but I found only the description of one but the link didn't work. You might be able to track it down through the VAUS organization.

Hi CarlB, I found this LISP in discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=523302 but it fails at:

; error: no function definition: DOLABELS

Can you please help to fix this problem. Thanks

XSECT.LSP