Snapping two or three arcs together to blend curves

gotchy

Hello,

I need to learn to snap two or three arcs together for blending purposes. I draw cams and this is a must. I enclose a screen shot to demonstrate what I am looking for. I have blended the arcs together on the left hand side, by eye, (rather badly) and if you look at the right hand side you will see what I am trying to do.

Thank you,

gotchy

Cam.JPG

Mightn't circles using the TTR (tangent tangent radius) option give you a nice transition from one arc to the next,

after which you could use the TRIM command to remove what was not required, then PEDIT JOIN them?

Just want to throw in my two cents, and a heads-up too... I have found that FILLETing can sometimes fail between two curves if the curves are part of a polyline. So if you are finding that you cannot FILLET 2 curves, try exploding them out of the polyline, then you can re-join the polyline after filleting.

"Old school" method would be to offset each object by the desired radius and then use the intersection as the centerpoint for the arc/circle. CIRCLE command using TTR and FILLET command are two more solutions, as mentioned above. Another option for those using a newer version of AutoCAD is Geometric Constraints.

Tangent options.gif

Hello,... I draw cams and this is a must. ...

Can you attach an example cam you have designed using AutoCAD?

What speeds do these cams operate at?

Also need follower shape geometry.

Wow am I embarassed. I can't believe that a simple thought like using the Fillet tool slipped by me. I really should have known that one, sorry.

gotchy

Dr Mather, Sir,

Due to Company constraints, I am unable to show any drawings that may or may not be considered "proprietary", other than the simple example that I have shown. Just generally speaking, these are not high speed cams, and average out to about 150 CPM. The cam followers used are simple radial bearings.Their main use is in the Wire-Forming Industry, however I sincerely thank you and all concerned for your help and your effort.

gotchy