Cut/Paste & Move/Relocate

RKBAGUY

Hoping someone can help, because I've been struggling with two things in Inventor 2013 for some time, now, and just can't seem to figure this out.

Moving objects. Isn't there an easy way to cut, paste and then move a duplicated object to its desired location? I've used RhinoCAD in years past and it just seems so much easier than Inventor where this sort of thing is concerned. You simply cut, paste, select the object, invoke the move tool and relocate it on the grid or to specific coordinates. Surely there's a way to do something similar in Inventor, no?

Resizing objects. Again, this is where Rhino seems so much simpler. Let's say I have a dozen cubes in a drawing, but I want to resize three of them only. Of the the three cubes to be resized, one is .25", the other is .35" and the other is .55" and I want to scale them all proportionally so that the largest is 1" and the others resize proportionally. This is a no-brainer in Rhino - all you need to do is select the three objects you need, select the 'transform in 3d' function, pick the face of the .55" cube and change it to 1". Bingo, the rest will scale up accordingly. I just can't figure out how to do such a thing in Inventor.

Thanks in advance. Hope someone can help me get my head screwed on straight.

Wow. Nobody can answer this? Or is the question too dumb for a reply? Either way, I'd like to hear back because if there's something I'm missing, I'd surely like to know.

Sounds like you need to go through the tutorials. Also use search under the Help button for "Move" "Copy" etc... Another good starting point is JD Mathers tutorials. Don't take shortcuts in training yourself up in Inventor by trying to learn it on the fly. Do specific training. "No brainer" stuff I do in Inventor would be Witchcraft for me in Rhino because I've done no training to use it. In my opinion Inventor is the one of the easier to learn 3d modeling and drafting software packages out there.

For movings parts in an assembly just click on the object and continue to hold down the LMB to drag the object. Also look under the assemble tab in the menu for Free Move & Free Rotate. There are grip snaps under the Position pull down for moving along vectors. Select an object and RMB will also show those commands along with copy and paste. It is better to ground one object and locate the others using constraints. In sketch it's the same thing, click & drag, and pulldown commands under the RMB. In Sketch under the Modify tab you'll find Move, Copy, and Rotate. Under the Draw pulldown menu there is a Precise menu available. Again using constraints in a sketch is the best way to locate geometry. Understanding User Parameters in Inventor might help you change the cubes the way you want.