some sort of circular xref of a layer wanted

andyr74

I have a autocad drawing from an architect. This drawing contains soms plans/drawings of a building. The building has 5 or 6 levels.

For my drawings I use this architectural drawing as an xref to work with.

All the things I need I draw on top of it.

But some parts I draw for let say buildinglevel 0 on a layer "X" , I also need on the other buildinglevels (but maybe in a different color).

What I do now: copy all these objects drawn on layer X, place them in another layer "Y", change color, (make a block of it) and place it on the next building level 1. This works, but everytime I change or add something on layer "X" for buildinglevel 0, I need to manualy change it on the next buildinglevel.

What I would like is some sort of circular reference of layer "X" within the same drawing. If I change something on layer "X" for building level 0, then the same should be changes on the "circular xref" for level 1 within the same drawing.

Does anyone know if this is possible or how to do it?

If layer y is the same as layer x except for the colour then could you not just use layer x (i.e. no layer y) and use viewport layer state overrides for colours for the various floors?

The work-around I see is to create a block from the elements that were common for all levels, set their color as ByLayer and insert it once for each level in appropriate layer. When need to adjust them call BEDIT command.

If layer y is the same as layer x except for the colour then could you not just use layer x (i.e. no layer y) and use viewport layer state overrides for colours for the various floors?

I tried that. It works in some "simple" projects. But in more elaborated projects I came across some problems.

But this is only vissible in a viewport in paperspace.

Some extra explanation:

items drawn for building level 0 on layer "X" should be visible on building level 1 (and maybe on level 2,...)

items drawn for building level 1 on layer "X" should be visible on building level 2 (and maybe on level 3,...)

... and so on.

In short, things for building level x on layer "X" should also be visible on building level x+1 and maybe higher but in a different color. (preferably in modelspace)

I can split layer "X" in "X1", "X2" ,....

The work-around I see is to create a block from the elements that were common for all levels, set their color as ByLayer and insert it once for each level in appropriate layer. When need to adjust them call BEDIT command.

I used this methode before. It works but I need to manualy adjust the block when something changes.

I hoped for something more automatic like a "circular xref", "duplicated layer" or something like that.

I would XREF the plans into the other floors. Make sure that all your other XREFs are set to "OVERLAY". You can then change the color of the layers in the referencing drawing. Make sure that VISRETAIN is set to "1".

Any changes that you make will now be reflected in the referencing drawing. No need for copying. Eliminating the chance for errors.