Do all sketches need to be fully constrained?

joesymonds

Hi, I have been using Inventor for a short while now. I have just realised the majority of my sketches are never fully constrained, I did not realise that this was an issue as long as they allowed me to model what I wanted. From what I have read online all sketches should always be fully constrained, but are there ever any instances when a sketch does not need to be fully constrained?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers, Joe

I will make a significant wager that your parts where "you didn't realize this was an issue" are garbage.

No sketch has a need to be fully constrained, but in my experience, those who don't fully constrain have no clue what they are doing.

Attach one of your files here and I'll use it to demonstrate why you should have fully constrained your sketches.

ALL beginners should fully constraint ALL sketches.

Once the beginner has enough experience they will be able to answer the question, "...are there ever any instances when a sketch does not need to be fully constrained?"

From you're reply I get the impression that this is something very fundamental that I should of learnt the first day I used the program!

Heres a part I drew recently, I don't think any of the sketches are fully constrained. To be honest until now I haven't really checked to see if a sketch is fully constrained, I have just created a sketch and constrained and dimensioned what I thought was necessary.

If you can take the time to demonstrate what I have done wrong that would be brilliant, thank you!

Hinge Part 1.ipt

As I suspected - your part does not match the real world or logic.

I would expect the design intent is for Tangency between the arc and the angled line.

I would expect the material to be uniform thickness sheet metal. The outside of a bend radius should be the inside radius (2mm) + the thickness of the material (5mm) = 7mm. So, because you used the incorrect radius for the outside of the bend - the material is not uniform 5mm thickness.

All Wrong.PNG

Workplane1 is not needed - you are doing extra work.

You are running r2014 Service Pack 0 - there are two important Service Packs that you should install.

I recommend that you stop what you are doing and go through these -

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?85808-Inventor-101

Attached is the correct way to model this part.

Hing Part_jd.ipt

Edited by JD Mather

Does your tutorial exist in a PDF format so I could create a printout to work from? I have bought a Ascent Student guide - Introduction to Solid Modelling, that I began to work through yesterday. I've learnt loads just from the first few chapters! I've been looking through a lot of my part sketches and noticing my own mistakes, and managing to correct most of them resulting in fully constrained sketches.