Text not Showing in layouts

Guest PAB12

Guest PAB12

I am making drawings in AutoCAD Electrical 2013 and I setup layouts and viewports for each page for 8x11 and 11x17 plotting. I noticed the viewport border was printing so I put the viewport on it's own layer and resolved that Issue.

Making other drawings later I was drawing with the viewport layer set and it's set not to plot so none of my new pages were plotting. Changed them to the proper layers set to plot but now my multiline text won't print even though it's set to the same layer of other things that do print.

If I plot from the model it comes out fine but if I plot from my layouts text is missing. layouts and viewports are imported from a template.

The dimensions that do not show up in the viewports are annotative. i checked one that has an annotative scale of 4:1. it seems to work in modelspace, but that is not how its done at all.

Annotative dimensions should be drawn at the height you want them to appear in paperspace. To do that annotative dimensions have to have the viewport scale(s) assigned to them.

You will have to add the scale the viewports are scaled at, to the annotative dimensions so they will be visible at that scale in the viewports.

Or you could simply replace the text with non-annotative text.

Guest PAB12

How would I replace the text with non annotative text? I inserted this text from the home tab / text/multiline text. Is it annotative by default? How can I turn it off?

Guest PAB12

I went into properties where it says annotative I selected no and the text went huge in my model? I don't understand the annotative and non annotative text scale. It looks good the way I have it in model space I just need to get it to print to that size in the layout.

Dana told you how to fix the problem.

What scale did you assign to the viewport(s) in your layout?

What annotative scales are assigned to the text back in model space?

How much do you know about paper space layouts and the viewports that are used in them?

I went into properties where it says annotative I selected no and the text went huge in my model? I don't understand the annotative and non annotative text scale. It looks good the way I have it in model space I just need to get it to print to that size in the layout.
You are on the right track to do it manually >> BUT Your TEXT STYLE is annotative, not that particular piece of text. Do you know how to set up another Text Style, and change the existing text items that don't show up to that style?

Other than that, you can change them in Properties, manually. Change Annotative to NO, and change the large Mtext items to 0.30 text height. Change all the others similarly, except that the text heights are different. The pin numbers(?) and part names are 0.25

You can do it fast if you change one text item, then Match Properties (Command = Matchprop) for the others like it.

Now, what you are doing manually is overriding the properties of the text style that these items are controlled by, as far as properties goes. This is not normally a good practice because future changes to the TEXT STYLE will not affect these manual overrides. However, things need to be done.

Most of the stuff that does show up are block attributes. They are doing fine the way they are. Leave them alone.

By the way, I don't get the custom viewport scale at all, 1:3.3 in the 8 x 11? But then it's Electrical so I guess it's somebody's strange attempt to fit a paper size.

I sense a bit of urgency in your voice:lol:, so Here, I decided to go ahead and fix it for you. Check it over carefully. Don't trust anyone. Pobody is nerfect.

Like I said, things need to get done, but you also really need to look into Text styles and Annotative text. They are really simple, and you will NEED NEED NEED to know them. You are going to see a lot of these things.

1000-016 - Copy.dwg

Edited by Dana W

And here's a picture of my dog cuz I am in a good mood.

Daisy Mea.JPG

Edited by Dana W
Daisy made me correct my spellin' but not the grammar.

I sense a bit of urgency in your voice:lol:, so Here, I decided to go ahead and fix it for you. Check it over carefully. Don't trust anyone. Pobody is nerfect.
Wait. Did I just do your homework? That never occurred to me, but your drawing is not licensed as Educational so I guess I'll be getting a check in the mail soon?

Nahh, I fixed it because you were willing to explain how far over your eyebrows the water is, and you seem willing and able to learn this stuff, so do, please. Also, the Annotative text was already scaled to 4:1 in modelspace. When I saw the whacky viewport scales I decided not to try and figure out how to apply it to something that is already annotated at 4:1. I am not even sure it can be fixed other than through properties. I tried putting the viewport scales to the annotative text but they went all HUGE. It didn't work, so I changed the properties overrides like I explained above.

Of course you do read a little too fast

Guest PAB12

Thanks for your Help Dana. The Viewport scale is just to get more on the paper. It worked at some of the standard scales but these will be some complex drawings when finished and the vision of some of our techs is not what it used to be so just trying to pack everything on the page as large as possible so I went with that crazy scale setup in the viewports.

this is why I love this forum. Great to have people that are willing to help. I like how questions are asked to help the person figure out the issue without giving a direct answer. Plus you can't beat an awesome looking white pit breed.

this is why I love this forum. Great to have people that are willing to help. I like how questions are asked to help the person figure out the issue without giving a direct answer. Plus you can't beat an awesome looking white pit breed.
Daisy says thank you, and so do the peeps here.