Structure Labels: Combining Flowlines?

PaulS00

Hello,

So we got some comments back on a set of plans and the plan-checker wants us to combine flowlines of the same pipe size and direction of the structure labels. I have scoured through the label style editor and have found no option to enable similar flowlines to be combined. I really hate to do them manually and lose the dynamic capability of using pipes.

One alternative solution I have thought of if the plan-checker won't budge is to explode the labels as is and combine the similar flowlines to settle the problem. Then, create a structure label style that would not plot and would be positioned next to the exploded label as an easy way to check that the manual labels are up-to-date.

Thoughts?

flowlines.png

Unless the pipes are in series then I don't see why anyone would want that? A 'hack' if this is at the end of your network may be to create a dummy pit and send all three pipes to the pit then report a dummy outlet pipe flow.

However, what I would be doing is simply manually adding together the values and writing them in mtext. It is a simple solution for a simple problem.

It is good to see someone actually checking the engineering. I have worked in too many companies where no checking at all has occurred while in other companies where checking did occur, it was more for typos... never of the hydraulics or hydrology etc.

I was thinking the same thing - Why would someone want that on a plan set?

There going to be installing the pipe one or two at a time and will need to know the I.E. of that

particular pipe and will not be concerned with similar pipe at that time. Could you instead create a Table

showing similar pipe with size, I.E. etc ??

Generally, whenever there are multiple flowlines of the same size, we combine them. For example, 24"FL=100.51(N,E,SW). It does help to minimize cluttering of the plans.

My project engineer is going to talk to the plan checker to explain why we "can't" change it.

My project engineer is going to talk to the plan checker to explain why we "can't" change it.

The 'plan checker' will laugh at you/the project engineer. They will them demonstrate on paper how to add together the flows and how they want them displayed on the plans. You can't say you can't do it just because Civil 3d can't automatically do it. You can still easily manually work it out with a calculator and write them on the plan in mtext.