how to connect a corner with another corner that is offset inside it

bubba7420

ok so this could be a really dumb question but im driving myself crazy trying to figure it out and im not even quite sure if its possible... ok so here it goes.. i work in a cabinetry shop and i do all of the shop drawings.... we use autocad 2004(i know its a dinosaur) so ive come to the conclusion that dynamic blocks cant be done in 2004 which sucks am i right about this?... recently my boss has asked me to start putting the door styles on the cabinets for the owner to sign off on them. so that way it will be more accurate. but since dynamic blocks arent an option i have to either draw each one individually or take the door style i have made and stretch each one to fit which ends up taking about as much time to draw it as.. so if i take that avenue and draw each one all the offsets go pretty quick. but for raised panel doors i have to put these lines connecting the two corners which takes forever because the only way i have found to do it is to draw a line in between them for each one. Please tell me theres a faster way to do this

Can you post a sample dwg, you may not have dynamic blocks but you do have lisp in 2004 have you thought about going this way, just answer some questions and panel is drawn.

Sorry, but dynamic blocks came along somewhere from 2007 to 2009.

You can draw one miter line and then mirror the other three in, then copy in pairs, and mirror. It saves a little time. Use the midpoints of the panel top & side lines for the mirror line.

I don't know if this will work for you, draw a rectangle, in the properties change the global thickness of the polyline to the width of your door rails, and set the plot style to hidden lines, a wide polyline should plot showing the corners mitred (you will need to play about with the sizes though).

nantucket.dwghey bigal, ive looked into them before but i never seem to get them installed correctly. would be great if it would work though. I've attached the dwg of the door style im trying to use

If drawing 2D my first reflex would be to draw a rectangle on your door block offset by the required amount of lap on Defpoints layer, and then use that rectangle to stretch the door to size. You can turn defpoints off when your done or assign a less prominent colour and ignore it. It doesn't print out.

Boro Nut

Edited by Boro Nut
spellnig

Very easy from lisp just need a few rules firstly draw the door using rectang and just offset, the last offset gives the mitre lines, I would have some defaults width height offset1 offset2-4 so just press enter to accept. I noticed the top and bottom panels are different 3 panels v's 4 this is because of the height factor of the top panel. I should be able to do something pretty quick, it will be based on metric for testing but I will comment the values to change will try to do for feet. I did a shortcut for data entry will try to add that also. 1' 10 1/4" 1.10.1.4 is 1 feet 10 inches + 1/4 of a inch 1' is 1.0

Ok have a look at this its say version 1 of say ver 5 it will draw multiple panels, if this is heading in correct direction then will make smarter, in case you dont know copy code to notepad save as cupboard.lsp then use Appload pick cupboard answer questions.

; draw multiple offsets
; needs some smarts added for various predefined offsets
; by alan h June 2014
(defun 3panel ( / pt1 pt2 pt3 ang dist)
(setq pt1 (getpoint "\nSelect lower left cnr"))
(setq W (getdist pt1 "please enter width"))
(setq H (getdist pt1 "please enter height"))
(setq pt2 (list (+ (car pt1) w)(+ (cadr pt1) H)))
(setq ang (angle pt1 pt2))
(setq dist (/ (distance pt1 pt2) 2.0 ))
(setq pt3 (polar pt1 ang dist))
(command "rectang" pt1 pt2) 
(setq obj (entlast))
(command "offset" 3 obj pt3 "") ; 3" offset
(repeat 2                       ; draw 3 panels
(setq obj (entlast))
(command "offset" 1 obj pt3 "") ; 1" offset
)
(setq co-ords (getcoords (entlast)))
(co-ords2xy) ; list of 2d points making pline
(setq pt1 (list (car pt1) (+ H (cadr pt1))))
(command "line" pt1 (nth 0 co-ordsxy) "") ; add other 3 lines here
)
; pline co-ords example
; By Alan H
(defun getcoords (ent)
 (vlax-safearray->list
   (vlax-variant-value
     (vlax-get-property
   (vlax-ename->vla-object ent)
   "Coordinates"
     )
   )
 )
)

(defun co-ords2xy ()
; convert now to a list of xy as co-ords are x y x y x y if 3d x y z x y z
(setq len (length co-ords))
(setq numb (/ len 2)) ; even and odd check required
(setq I 0)
(repeat numb
(setq xy (list (nth i co-ords)(nth (+ I 1) co-ords) ))
; odd (setq xy (list (nth i co-ords)(nth (+ I 1) co-ords)(nth (+ I 2) co-ords) ))
(setq co-ordsxy (cons xy co-ordsxy))
(setq I (+ I 2))
)
)
(3panel)

doorpanel.jpg

Edited by BIGAL