ACAD2014 properties dialogue box crash...

lamensterms

Hi guys,

I am currently experiencing a few issues with my installation of ACAD2014.

The problem is that when I have the AutoCAD properties dialogue box open, and I select a ProSteel element (without executing a command first)... The session crashes (fatal error).

I believe the issue is caused by the fact that I uninstalled AutoCAD 360. I have read that this causes some sort or error in the windows registry, and the properties palette cannot function correctly after 360 has been uninstalled.

So the advised solution was to reinstall AutoCAD. Unfortunately this solution did not work for me, I have reinstalled ACAD and ProSteel without any success.

So... My question is, does anyone know how I might be able to overcome this issue? Does anyone know which registry entries are critical to the properties palette? Any suggestions on how I might remedy my situation?

Thanks a lot for any help.

What makes you think that uninstalling AutoCAD 360 had anything to do with the original problem? And if you reinstalled AutoCAD then you must have reinstalled AutoCAD 360 as well. Is that right?

Hi ReMark, thanks for the reply.

I have read a couple of articles and threads on other forums saying that uninstalling 360 causes issues with the properties palette.

Yes, upon reinstalling ACAD... I did install 360 too.

Based on personal experience I doubt one has anything to do with the other.

Did you follow the proper procedure for uninstalling AutoCAD as per AutoDesk recommendations prior to reinstalling AutoCAD 2014?

I didn't do a "clean" uninstall. I have only just learned about Autodesk's recommended clean uninstall since leaving the office. I will give that a shot when I get back to work in the morning.

Here is an article explaining the issues with the properties palette and uninstalling 360... http://www.cad-notes.com/autocad-properties-palette-doesnt-show-objects-properties/

I have also seen it mentioned on a few forums too.

One thing I did was perform a system restore to a restore point set before I installed ACAD2014, which I thought may have been a good option to remove any registry entries from ACAD2014 & 360. Would you reckon the clean install is still a worthy option or would the system restore achieve the same thing?

Uninstalling AutoCAD360 absolutely can cause the properties palette to stop working. Reinstalling usually does repair the problem, but in some cases you may have to completely remove and re-install AutoCAD. You also "may" be able to resolve the issue if you have a Windows restore point.

Here's the relevant Autodesk Knowledge Base article acknowledging the problem with uninstalling 360. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Properties-palette-is-blank-and-does-not-work-in-AutoCAD.html which includes a link to how to manually edit the install files to do what Autodesk's installer is supposed to do, but actually doesn't.

My personal recommendation is to leave 360 installed, (even if you originally unchecked it from the install options) and simply disable it from running via Task Manager / MSCONFIG

It's not a given though. I've uninstalled 360 after having installed both 2014 and more recently 2015. Why it works in some cases and not others is puzzling to say the least. Could it be influenced by the presence of a third-party app like ProSteel? Or could it be the problem does not occur unless one has activated 360 then decided to uninstall it?

Could it be influenced by the presence of a third-party app like ProSteel?

I would just like to clarify something... After uninstalling and reinstalling, I no longer have the issue with ACAD's properties palette for ACAD elements. I only have the issue with ProSteel elements (as described in the original post).

I am currently waiting a response on a thread I created on a third party ProSteel support forum. Haven't yet approached the genuine ProSteel tech support (the ProSteel support is not great).

Did Prosteel and AutoCAD2014 work together previously, or did the problem start after the 360 issue?

If AutoCAD2014 is working properly again after re-install, then my guess is that Autodesk changed something in 2014 and ProSteel now has to adjust their code to compensate.

I cannot say if the problem existed before I uninstalled 360,as I uninstalled 360 immediately after installing ACAD.

One point of reference may be... All the other machines in the office function fine (ACAD2014 with ProSteel), and none of them have had 360 uninstalled.