"What's the Deal with DWGtoPDF anyways. . . "

SMP

See what i did there?

I am curious about something in regards to DWGtoPDF. Why does it seem that this feature of autocad seems to have a bit of a black eye in our industry (Geomatics/Land Survey)

What about other industries that use AutoCAD? Does anyone rely on dwgtopdf?

For some reason my employers current and past seem to use either Adobe or Acroplot as a standard PDF plotter? The job i just started uses acroplot and to be honest i find it bulky slow and kind of crappy. Maybe it is just configured poorly?

The job i was at prior to here i used dwgtopdf in the end and it was fast and always reliable, decent sized in terms of MB's, never bogged down or crashed my stuff??? And it fixed a few problems my project managers had with the Adobe made PDF's.

Is there a reason why the industry i am in may possibly shun this feature? Maybe i am missing something technical i should know about PDF's but i really don't see the need for 3rd party PDF software unless you are doing something wild like making geo-referenced PDFs which, to my knowledge autocad can't do (maybe/yet) ?

Any insight is appreciated. Just a curiosity.

DWG to PDF Plotter was troublesome in the very beginning but quickly made things right. This may have kept people astray all this time. I've loved this built in plotter for years and would agree nobody needs to use anything different, unless you're plotting raster PDF's that are color. That's when DWG to PDF Plotter doesn't give you the options needed for lossless compression settings. But black linework and seamless batch-plot integration, there's no other reason to use anything different unless you simply want to.

I use publish to create pdf files also, no reason to print and then scan the prints to get pdf like in old days.

Most of the time if too many sheets the scanner cannot take it anyway because lack of memory and you end-up scanning in multiple parts that you can't gather anyway even if program exist as open source one cannot install it anyway if not admin.

No other program is needed when using dwg to pdf directly from cad you even have the choice to hide layers.

Have a nice day using publish command.

"What's the Deal with DWGtoPDF anyways. . . "

See what i did there?

I'm not seeing it.

As for your other question, Mr. Frampton summed it up pretty well.

Same here as the last few replies.

When it debuted in 2007, it was terrible. We used AcroPlot at that time.

Once they fixed it starting with the 2010 release, it's been our primary output device ever since, using Land Desktop and now Civil 3D.