XData, handels and copying

heschr

Hi,

I have a couple of objects connected to each other through their object handels put into their respecting Xdatas. If I copy 'n paste them into a new drawing all handels are updated (as is stated in the reference handbook). How can I achieve this behavior when executing a simple copy command in the same drawing? As of now, the handels are not updated, but reference still the original objects instead of the newly copied ones.

Is there a good (standard) way to maintain object references?

If someone please could point me into the right direction on this.

Instead of copy objects with handles and xdatas, why don't you make a copy of your file in Windows and copy other things into it? xdata and object handle is still intact then.

Instead of copy objects with handles and xdatas, why don't you make a copy of your file in Windows and copy other things into it? xdata and object handle is still intact then.

I need to copy inside the drawing. I attached a little sketch to explain in more Detail.

circles.png

The blue circles are connected through XData handles to each other and finally to the black base circle. Now I copy the blue circles and get the red ones. The behavior should be: the handels of the red circles update but the base remains the same since I didn't copy the black cirlce.

If you reference a object (e.g. a block) in a Text Field there is a simular behavior. if you copy only one of those items the reference stays, if you copy both the reference gets updated.