handling multiple MView ports in PS...

xelaris

I've created 3 Mview ports (floating ports) in Paper Space...one of these takes the whole layout space - a second port shows only the object without the border of the floating port (as I wanted)...so I can place the content of the port without interfering with the content of the bigger floating port. Another floating port doesn't show the border, but it covers partially the content of the first and biggest floating port (so, one port is interfering, the other isn't).

It seems like the floating ports have an order of placement - one is on top of the other and the actual area of the port being this a circle or a polygon or else (not the useful content) might interfere with other ports if placed incorrectly....am I right? If so, how do I change such order?

I hope my description is clear...otherwise, I'll try to post an image of this problem...

Hm.... I think we need an image - at least I do :)

In general, viewports doesn't mask one another, if you place one of top of another you see everything that is in both viewports. You can change the size of the viewports by the blue grips on the viewport, if you need to see more or less of a viewport.

Here's a useful image:

Ergo chair 18mm original and square fillet2010 Layout2 (1).jpg

there are 3 crucial ports (ignore the one on top - the small one divide by 4) - the object in the middle (in 3d) is within a port as big as the whole picture....the object in the left is not interfering with the one in the middle (they both show) while the one in the right is deleting part of the object in the middle.

My conclusion is that the one on the left has the port placed behind the bigger floating port while the one in the right (green item) is on top of all and in so doing is interfering/deleting part of the other item (the one in 3d).

Hm. As far as I know Viewports don't block each other like the green one seems to do on your image, not without some help. It doesn't matter if they are placed above or below one another.

Two scenarios I can see right now: the biggest viewport (the one with the 3D-image in) is clipped around the viewport with the green item in it. If you highlight the viewport you can easily see if this is the case.

Or there is a WIPEOUT placed between the green items viewport and the 3D-items viewport. If you do not see the wipeout, it is most likely that the frame is hidden. Run the command WIPEOUTFRAME and set that to 1, then you should see the Wipeout.

If you can post a DWG, I can check it out further.

I believe that the visual style in the obstructing viewport is what makes it behave differently.

If the visualstyle were 2D Wireframe, it would not block any of the others.

Oh. Nice workaround Dadgad!

I tried it and indeed, a 3D Hidden-viewport will block a 2D Wireframe-viewport.

But if both are 3D HIdden, it doesn't work... not even with Draw Order... weird.

I believe that the visual style in the obstructing viewport is what makes it behave differently.

If the visualstyle were 2D Wireframe, it would not block any of the others.

this seems more likely....unfortunately I didn't save the final drawing and I can't test it directly (silly me)...in fact there was something else which was a bit odd:

1) the port of the green object was a circle....yet, the cutting/deleting shows more like a rectangular shape?!

2) I couldn't select any border of any ports (both in PS and MS) - I must have clicked some options by mistake somewhere....I'm sure there is a fast solution.

The borders are probably on a non-visible layer. Either find the layer that is frozen/off and thaw/light it or use the command LAYON to turn on ALL layers.

Oh. Nice workaround Dadgad!

I tried it and indeed, a 3D Hidden-viewport will block a 2D Wireframe-viewport.

But if both are 3D HIdden, it doesn't work... not even with Draw Order... weird.

+1 for that, brilliant, even works in LT, I have only had a quick look but it appears to be the order in which the viewports are created that determines who is on top, but setting the viewport properties for 'shade plot' to Legacy hidden will let the viewport mask out everything behind it. Needs a bit of experimenting but this looks like a great workaround for irregular shaped viewports.