engineer scale

Hello,

I am having a frustration moment. I have used autocad for awhile and never had problems with scales in both architectural and metric. For the first time I have to have my drawing setup so people can use an engineering scale to get the dimensions. I thought this would be real simple. For example, 10 scale would be 1 inch on the paper is 10'. I clicked 1:10 scale in autocad for my viewport and that obviously did not work. As I think about it I probably need to associate 1" to 10' as 1" to 120" or something. Why would not AutoCAD have something where engineer scales would work with ease. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I figured it out. Custom scale. 1 paper units to 120 drawing units is 1" to 10', 1 paper units to 240 drawing units is 1" to 20', etc... It was just a little confusing seeing 1:10 in the ACAD template unit list. At least it might help someone else someday.

People lose sight of the origins of expressions.

As you found out, the AutoCAD scale of 1:10 in the imperial set-up means 1 inch = 10 feet and not one unit equals ten units.

One of the hazards of mixing two length units. :cry:

Not quite, 1:10 means the same thing no matter what units you are using. 1"=10', 20', or 100' are expressed with the unit labels, not as a ratio, and are probably available as standard scales in civil packages.

I am fine creating a template with 6 new custom units. Very easy, just create a 10,20,30,40,50,60 scale with above properties and save as a template and they are now in your acad interface. As far as acad civil i heard that it is a user nightmare. I am sure it is better than acad arch to do civil drawings but nobody I know likes it. I know that NJDOT requires Microstation files along with PDF'S with drawing submittals. Everything is about true north. I see people go crazy all the time based on that.

Simply put, the scale ratio expressions are always the same. One paperspace unit equals "nn" modelspace units. You find this clearly expressed in the Add Custom Scales edit dialog.

One can make one millimeter, or one inch, to equal 100,000 light years if required.