• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• MinaRAI

• CaddJax

• Denimoth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I left my slicing lines on for reference.

Here's my result. It's important to note the angle of the cut on the right side is not 45°, but is instead determined by using the projected corner of the object. It might just be the way CaddJax oriented his model, but it looks to me like the 45° angle was used on both sides?

Slice Iso-002.jpg

Here's my result. It's important to note the angle of the cut on the right side is not 45°, but is instead determined by using the projected corner of the object. It might just be the way CaddJax oriented his model, but it looks to me like the 45° angle was used on both sides?

I did use a 45 on both sides.

I drew my slicing lines along the coordinating extensions of the base and rotated them each at 45deg. The long side on the x-asix, the short side on the y-axis. Sliced using the 3pt method.

... It's important to note the angle of the cut on the right side is not 45°, but is instead determined by using the projected corner of the object.

Good catch!

I had not taken the time to remodel since the book image was posted.

Hello guys,

Back here to report on the progress.

After much head scratching I finally managed to do the drawing exercise based on your tips/instructions correctly with the correct measurements in AutoCAD 2013. Might you guys check and see if they are correct. Please see images attached.

I was able to do 2 varieties. The first drawing using the ROTATE3D and as pointed out the right side is not 45deg but based on the projected corner of the object. MEASUREGEOM says it's 48degrees.

...It is important to note the angle of the cut on the right side is not 45deg but is instead determined by using the projected corner of the object...

The other drawing done from experimenting with the UCS > Face. I have projected a line from "C" with an angle of 45deg on both right / left side of the geometry. I also tried to project 45deg on both sides with the UCS at "world" and instead used the View Controls > Front and View Controls > Right. Both had the same results with 45deg on both left and right side. All has the 56mm height as specified in the exercise drawing.

I wanted to dimension them in 3D but sad to say I still do not know how :( so I used "MEASUREGEOM" to show the actual measurements in the images.

Question again if I may,

How can I dimension in 3D Modeling?

I was trying to find a help file but unfortunately this AutoCAD 2013 installation has no help files. I still have not been able to return to the previous internet cafe with AutoCAD 2010(which by the way has help files).

GvOmV79.png

ASgYno8.png

mBmrpqm.png

How can I dimension in 3D Modeling?

Although is possible to dimension directly on a 3D object by properly placing the UCS before adding a dimension (keep in mind that dimensions were draw in current XoY plan), I suggest you to do this using Paper Space feature and MVIEW / SOLPROF commands.

If you want dimensions to show in the iso view then do them in MS. Doing that in PS is not easy or accurate without some additional steps and really makes no sense to dim in PS for an iso view. See attached for instruction on 3D dimensioning.

3D dimensioning 07-26-12.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply.

@MSasu / rkent,

Thanks for the tips and the attachments. Have not tried in Paper space yet as I just started earlier. I did have some progress but I used a different drawing exercise of which I have encountered another problem. It is here,

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?88198-3D-dimensioning-problem

I will also use the finished drawing here to apply what I am learning in 3D dimensioning. Will be back here to post the finished image with the proper dims later or the next week :)

@MinaRAI

The angle from horizontal of the 2nd line defining the slicing plane is not 45 degrees but instead is sloping 56:50. Look for post #42.

angle.jpg

@MinaRAI

The angle from horizontal of the 2nd line defining the slicing plane is not 45 degrees but instead is sloping 56:50. Look for post #42.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50527[/ATTACH]

@eraserhead214

Yes we know. It has been already been pointed out by Denimoth. The finished drawing I made is patterned and the same as what CaddJax's did. We both used 45deg and thus AutoCAD reflects "the" measurement. The other variant I did using the projection slope you are mentioning is at post#45 and did not slope at what you said but instead sloped at 48deg(same as Denimoth's). Please kindly post your 56:50 projection and let CaddJax / Denimothcheck it out.

GvOmV79.png

ASgYno8.png

Edited by MinaRAI