Equation in .IAM

mattador04

Can you make an equation within an assy that says, "ok, if this constraint is moved this far, then this other constraint has to move this far".... get it? For example, I want to turn a nut. If the nut travels a linear distance of one inch (face to face mate, begin at 0" end at 1") , I want for it to rotate 13 times, or 13 x 360 degrees (angular constraint driven )

• 2 weeks later...
Can you make an equation within an assy that says, "ok, if this constraint is moved this far, then this other constraint has to move this far".... get it? For example, I want to turn a nut. If the nut travels a linear distance of one inch (face to face mate, begin at 0" end at 1") , I want for it to rotate 13 times, or 13 x 360 degrees (angular constraint driven )

There may be an easy way to do it like JD is talking about.. but so you can learn about making equations, the answer to your question is yes.

First you could create Parameters, call them whatever. You can either do it by going up to the F at the top of the screen and creating numeric parameters, or when you create the constraints you could create them at that time just type something like F2FM=0 instead of just typing 0 for the mate distance, this will automatically create the parameter for you and set it to 0 for it's starting value. Then do the same for the other ACD=0.

Next go into the parameters and make saure F2FM is set to inches (or whatever) and ACD is set to Degrees (unless you prefer to work in radians)

Next create an iLogic rule in the iLogic browser, name it something like "Constraints rule". Once inside you are "Writing Code" But it's pretty simple for doing calculations.

For this all you would really need to do is say

ACD = (F2FM * 13 * 360) 

The parameters should light up blue, that means you have them set up correctly. Then from the parameters list you can change the value for F2FM it will change the constraint distance in your model, and at the same time it will rotate it 13 full circles for every inch you add to F2FM.

I don't give instructions very often, so let me know if this works for you or if I need to explain anything further. Again, JD is probably right, there is probably an actual constraint to do this smoother, but this way should work and its always good to learn how to do something like this for the future!

Good luck!

Daniel

Fantasic, I will try this as soon as I am back to my computer and let you know how it goes. I appreciate your input. :D

Is there a reason you are not using a Rotational/Translational constraint in the assembly environment or a Screw Joint in the Dynamic Simulation environment?

Because I don't really know how. When it comes to making things move, I just use the Inventor Studio rather than the Dynamic Simulator. It is my understanding that the D.S. is for analyzing things like friction and stress, while the studio makes things move (by animating or driving constraints or components on a timeline), fades components, has camera angles, lighting, etc. Daniel's explanation was spot on, and I can make the nut spin and move along an axis simultaneously in the .iam. I will try to add this to the animation timeline in the studio. As for any work being done withing an .ipn file for this assembly, I found it hard to make the nut do this. I remember JD Mather saying that all the .ipn's are good for is to make the static exploded assy drawings.:?

A Rotational/Translation constraint simply does the math for you. In combination with an Mate (offset) constraint - you can drive the motion (Animate Constraint) in Inventor Studio. I think this is the easiest solution.

The DS solution is, in some ways, easier, and in other ways, harder to set up. DS solution can be pushed to Inventor Studio.