Bloated File - Crash on Save

Craisbeck

I am using Autocad 2013 and I have a file that contains 6 dynamic blocks and 2 layouts. I would expect the file to be less than 10 mb. The file has expanded to over 26 mb and I cannot get it down in size.

More importantly (or a bigger problem) when I delete a layout tab or even just the title block and choose save the file will not save and causes autocad to freeze forcing a hard start. I have done lots of things to try to figure out what is causing this problem.

I have sent the file to another computer - still crashed.

Used lee mac DelBlock to force out the TitleBlock. It did save after this, but not once I added the new title block back in.

Deleted objects.

Stopped Autocad Sync

Prayed!

None of which have worked. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this.

Are you down saving to a previous release?

We are told to down save to 2004, no so dynamic block friendly.

I lost a lot of work following policy, I now have permission to save my dynamic blocks to the version I am using, and remembering to switch back is essential.

Any 3D solids? I’ve ran across corrupt ones that causedsimilar issues.

Have you “purged” the drawing with both purge and –purge commands?

The “-“ is important.

Also run the commands "audit" and "overkill"

Edited by zaphod

It could be DGN linetypes, which can be purged using Autocad 2015, or True View 2015, which can be downloaded for free from Autodesk site.

It could be DGN linetypes, which can be purged using Autocad 2015, or True View 2015, which can be downloaded for free from Autodesk site.

They have addins or tools for 2013, but I am not sure what other firms are using and I am almost certain it is not Microstation, but every file we receive now is full of Dgn Linetypes. Not sure if other cad software that creates dwg use dgn linetypes functionality for other things but every file is full of them and someone always copy something out the drawings which brings all that crap into our drawings bloating them.

They have addins or tools for 2013, but I am not sure what other firms are using and I am almost certain it is not Microstation, but every file we receive now is full of Dgn Linetypes. Not sure if other cad software that creates dwg use dgn linetypes functionality for other things but every file is full of them and someone always copy something out the drawings which brings all that crap into our drawings bloating them.

If that is all it is, then download the free viewer I mentioned from Autodesk, and it will take care of them.

I think that when you open them with the viewer it will purge them on the fly, might be wrong about that.

You may still want to use the -purge command (with the hypen), first purge Regapps, then choose ALL.

then Audit and SAVE.

I use 2013, and had a look recently at the hotfix available from Autodesk for this problem.

Tedious and unimpressive.

In a recent post about this problem, it was mentioned that if you use Cloud 360, or whatever they call it,

that will take care of them too.

The OP is using AutoCAD 2011 and as far as I know there is a hotfix for 2014, 2013 and 2012 but not for 2011. He will have to find another method to fix the problem or ask someone here to do him a favor.

Seems the best workaround would be the True View free download, if this is a recurring problem, they need to have an on board solution available, so they can do it in house.

I am using Autocad 2013

The OP is using AutoCAD 2011 and as far as I know there is a hotfix for 2014, 2013 and 2012 but not for 2011. He will have to find another method to fix the problem or ask someone here to do him a favor.

OP claims to be using 2013.

DGN Hotfix