Create New Layout Tab Without Default Viewport

Bill Tillman

I have a small LISP program and it creates a new Layout Tab and gives it a name.

(command "._LAYOUT" "_N" "8.5x11")

Trouble is it comes with it's own default viewport which I really don't need. In fact, this default viewport gets smack dab in the way of a new viewport I create on this new layout tab. Is there a method to not have the default viewport created in the first place or if not, how could I delete it once the new layout tab is established?

Okay, ask and ye shall receive. The searches I did were coming up with zilch until I changed the phrase "delete viewport" to "remove viewport" and that yielded this:

(vlax-for Obj (vla-get-PaperSpace (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-Acad-Object)))
   (if (= (vla-get-ObjectName Obj) "AcDbViewport")
     (vla-Delete Obj)
     )
   )

which did the trick. It doesn't actually create a new layout tab without a viewport but it does remove the default one that came with it. And that's all I was really after.

First thing, you can preclude the creation of a new 'default' Viewport in Options, Display tab, Layout Elements area, un-check "Create viewport in new layouts."

Second, be mindful that the first Viewport in Viewports Collection Object is the Paperspace Viewport itself... I do forget if that is also iterated over in the method you posted, or not. Just wanted to mention just in case.

Cheers

Thanks, and I didn't think about that setting in the options until you mentioned it. This is a down and dirty task that's going to be run on about 600 drawing files. So we can make the change only while this work is being done.

Thanks, and I didn't think about that setting in the options until you mentioned it. This is a down and dirty task that's going to be run on about 600 drawing files. So we can make the change only while this work is being done.

If you find you need the option with/without down the road, you can simply create a duplicate production Profile, with the setting turned off for future, similar automations. Just launch application with the appropriate startup switch. :thumbsup:

Cheers