Error creating arc length dimension?

malix

I'm writing a project in VB.net where I'm placing some dimensions on each segment of a polyline, and everything was going great until I tried to declare an ArcDimension for the curved segments.

So for example I've got :

Dim linearDim As New AlignedDimension

Dim radDim As New RadialDimension

Dim angleDim As New LineAngularDimension2

And these are all working fine, I'm able to create the dimensions and place them where they need to be. But when I do this:

Dim arcDim As New ArcDimension

It's causing the following error - Error 1 Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'New' accepts this number of arguments.

This is my first time working with dimensions in .net and I'm stumped. I don't see anything in the documentation that would cause an arc length dimension to be handled any differently from the others. Any ideas?

Edited by malix

... these are all working fine, I'm able to create the dimensions and place them where they need to be. But when I do this:

Dim arcDim As New ArcDimension

It's causing the following error -

Error	1 Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'New' accepts this number of arguments.

This is my first time working with dimensions in .net and I'm stumped. I don't see anything in the documentation that would cause an arc length dimension to be handled any differently from the others. Any ideas?

Methinks you're receiving that error, as you've supplied no arguments to the constructor; example:

Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices
Imports Autodesk.AutoCAD.Geometry

<CommandMethod("CreateArcLengthDimension")> _
Public Sub CreateArcLengthDimension()
   '' Get the current database
   Dim acDoc As Document = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
   Dim acCurDb As Database = acDoc.Database

'' Start a transaction
   Using acTrans As Transaction = acCurDb.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()

'' Open the Block table for read
       Dim acBlkTbl As BlockTable
       acBlkTbl = acTrans.GetObject(acCurDb.BlockTableId, _
                                    OpenMode.ForRead)

'' Open the Block table record Model space for write
       Dim acBlkTblRec As BlockTableRecord
       acBlkTblRec = acTrans.GetObject(acBlkTbl(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), _
                                       OpenMode.ForWrite)

'' Create an arc length dimension
       Using acArcDim As ArcDimension = New ArcDimension([color="red"]New Point3d(4.5, 1.5, 0), _
                                                         New Point3d(8, 4.25, 0), _
                                                         New Point3d(0, 2, 0), _
                                                         New Point3d(5, 7, 0), _
                                                         "<>", _
                                                         acCurDb.Dimstyle[/color])

'' Add the new object to Model space and the transaction
           acBlkTblRec.AppendEntity(acArcDim)
           acTrans.AddNewlyCreatedDBObject(acArcDim, True)
       End Using

'' Commit the changes and dispose of the transaction
       acTrans.Commit()
   End Using
End Sub

Cheers

Thanks!

That worked, although I don't really understand why it's necessary to do it that way for the ArcDimension but not for the others. In all the other dimension types I declared them first and set the values later.

Thanks!

That worked, although I don't really understand why it's necessary to do it that way for the ArcDimension but not for the others. In all the other dimension types I declared them first and set the values later.

You're welcome; I'm happy to help.

All I can tell you is that consistency of completeness for the AutoCAD .NET API is not what it should be, and Visual Studio's intellisense will display what constructor overloads are available whilst coding... As example, compare the 1 of 2 constructor overloads for AlignedDimension Type.

Also, you can place your cursor within any symbol, and hit F12 to view metadata for same.

Cheers