Layers

MAINEman5390

Hello,

Every time I open a new drawing all my layers have disappeared (i.e. - center line, construction line, object line, etc.) However, in previous drawings I've made all of my layers are still accessible. I don't know why they have disappeared. Any explanations?

Thanks!

I've been trying to figure out how to upload layers from one drawing/template to the other. Am I just going to have to create all new layers? Shouldn't they all be there whenever I open a new drawing? :?

Layers are stored in the drawing, not in AutoCAD. If you have a standard list of layers you use frequently, put them in your template file. Otherwise, you can INSERT a drawing containing your layers into another drawing. Design Center and INSERT command are other options that can transfer layers between drawings.

EDIT: There is no way it took me 15 minutes to post this nestly!!! :lol:

I've been trying to figure out how to upload layers from one drawing/template to the other. Am I just going to have to create all new layers? Shouldn't they all be there whenever I open a new drawing? :?
Not unless you've created and saved a template drawing, and start from it instead of from Drawing 1.dwg all the time. You can also do it the "Old Dog" way and just start off with an old drawing that has the stuff in it, and erase all the objects already drawn, then save as NEW DRAWING.dwg, but this method is frowned upon because it also drags along any problems that might be lurking behind the scenes. Most employers will not allow the old dog way because you will also be copying possibly hundreds of anonymous blocks and things that AutoCad creates so it can run.

Template drawings end with the file extension dwt instead of dwg. Open a new blank drawing and copy the stuff you need like blocks, styles and layers from one of the old drawings that you know still has them, using the Design Center, and save it as a template.dwt. The design center will not show you the things that AutoCad creates for its own use, for example those anonymous blocks.

Then, when you start a new drawing by using the qnew command, or clicking on the New Drawing (from template) button, you should be able to select your new template from the list offered.

Also, if you find a few missing layers (or anything else) in the template you created, after you have saved it, or if you need to add new things, you can edit the template to include them, by copying them in from the design center, or creating them and saving the dwt again. The design center will allow you to navigate to any other drawing and copy things out of it like layers, layouts, dimension and text styles, etc.

To activate the design center; ctrl+2, or the command ADCENTER, or from the menu TOOLS, PALETTES, DESIGN CENTER.

Edited by Dana W