Edit Blocks

jbgraphic

So this is a basic question I am sure, I don't use blocks much but have a question, I have a block in a drawing that I want to edit, if I edit this will it change the original block and any other reference to that block in other people drawings who have the block? Or will it just edit the one reference and leave all other unchanged?

No and no.

It will change the instance that you edit along with every other one in that particular file.

The only way to change existing instances in other files would be to save the block, insert it into each file, and accept the change to the definition.

you will edit all the blocks in your drawing and nothing else.

there are more powerful ways to use blocks if you wanted to change blocks in all drawings - but it sounds like you do not?

If you have multiple instances of that block, i.e. inserted multiple times, you cannot edit just the one instance (unless it is a dynamic block). You will need to explode or burst it, before editing.

Any chance that someone might try to copy/paste your newly edited block into a drawing that contains the original version? Beware the law of unintended consequences.

Any chance that someone might try to copy/paste your newly edited block into a drawing that contains the original version? Beware the law of unintended consequences.

^^^Pay attention to this!!!

It is probably a good idea to use a different name for the block and make your modifications to it. If it happens to be a standard block within your organization much confusion is certain to ensue.