moving XY origin closer to all the blocks

rock1

I'm doing Autocad to sketchup workflow.

In autocad, I make lots of blocks. So, when I import my cad file in sketchup, those blocks become my components and the work becomes easy. If I change and remodel 1 component, all other its instances change autmatically like AutoCAD.

The problem is, when I export my drawing, all the components have their origin axis i.e. the xy origin very far away from them. This results in some problems in SketchUp

Is there any trick in autocad that enables me to automatically move the origin towards the block? A batch command that analyses which blocks are far away from their origin xy and then I should move the native block XY origin closer. The XY origin should move towards the blocks linear geometry not vice versa.

Within the block editor, the editor tool pallet allows the addition of a "basepoint" parameter. The command is _BParameter. This basepoint overrides the "origin" and becomes the new insertion basepoint. I would assume lisp code would have to be written to open each desired block and insert a new basepoint, unless there are few enough of them that a manual block edit would be expedient. The lisp would need to know the block name(s) and the location within the block for the new basepoint.

When you create a new block in AutoCAD it isn't always wise to make the basepoint 0,0 instead you should place your basepoint directly on some portion of the geometry itself. It will save you from having problems down the road when those blocks are inserted into other drawings or migrated over to Sketchup.

LeeMac has a great lisp for changing a block's insertion point, but perhaps the easiest solution is to define an appropriate basepoint to begin with.

"...when I export my drawing..."

What method are you using to create the block/export?

Following from Nestly idea ask here ask nicely if Lee could add get bounding box as the pick method and make say Insert lower left corner. I would suggest do all blocks in your dwg in one go otherwise is a big job to do one at a time.

I typically go against the grain when it comes to advising using a selected base point other than WCS 0,0,0 when WBlocking because you end up with drawings that have geometry that often has no relationship to the WCS. You can confirm this by opening a drawing that has been created like this and examining the BASE and INSBASE variable.

It's ok if you know what is happening but many times it can lead to confusion.

My preferred method is to move (or copy) the geometry to a point relative to WCS 0,0,0 then WBlock using 0,0,0 as the base point.

What would you say is the percentage of users who examine both the BASE and INBASE settings of blocks that they insert into their drawings? My guess would be less than 1/10th of 1%.

What would you say is the percentage of users who examine both the BASE and INBASE settings of blocks that they insert into their drawings? My guess would be less than 1/10th of 1%.

You're likely right, and that's the root of some problems that I've seen overtime. I think it's important to raise the point for educational purposes.

Patrick he is referring to all his individual blocks not Wblock I agree use 0,0.

I keyed in on the "export from" comment. The thing is though somewhere down the road there's potential for creating a file from an existing block that will end up with a goofy origin.

I suppose there is no right or wrong way to do things. Just my way and the wrong way. ;)

I'd say it was wrong to create a block that has an origin so far removed from it that when inserted into a drawing it cannot be immediately seen.

I agree, unless the block is being used in lieu of an xref, and inserted only once from a common reference point in the project. It certainly doesn't make sense to have the basepoint of doors, windows, valves, fittings, etc located anywhere but on the geometry.

I am not understanding. I want an existing block to get its origin somewhere near to it without changing its location in the original drawing in which it is placed. _bparameter is doing exactly that. I don't want that to happen. I want the block to have its origin where I want but I have used a lot of blocks in autocad without caring about their origin.

So using _Bpara... command is wreaking havoc in my drawing. Any other alternative? Your answers are really difficult to grasp. So please bear with me if you have already explained a way out in these posts.

To really fix this problem you need to fix your master dwt so it doesn't happen again, like everyone is saying each block will have a slightly different base point depending on the geometry take a circle its base point would be the centre. There is here search a insert every block into a dwg routine so you can see all at once and away you go.