mass labeling using block reference attributes

jersek

Hello, I'm looking for a way to label points in large quantities using information that exists in the points attributes. I work with a GPS data collector that stores points, and then these points are copied into an autocad file. The attributes of these points is information that needs to be put onto leaders, and there are thousands of points!! Can I somehow tag/label these points to save time? Each point has a name, and a feature code (this is what i need to be displayed from each point on a leader, hopefully, without going through each points attributes and typing it out).

For example, the attached file includes points that form an electrical profile. I need to label each point (block reference), with its own attributes: point name and feature code.

thanks- Joe

1750 fence+light bases.dwg

If you only have AutoCAD LT then you're out of luck. What GPS collector and desktop software for it? Some will let you label it as you collected the points then export to DXF as text.

Do like Murph_map first, one way around this to import into excel as CSV and write a list of commands into 1 or more columns then paste to command line.

1,123.45,234.56,123.45,fence = -la s fence point 123.45,234.56,123.45 text 123.45,234.56,123.45 90.0 Fence

2, and so on

block version

1,123.45,234.56,123.45,fence = -la s fence -insert fence 123.45,234.56 1 1 0 123.45 234.56 123.45

Hello again thanks for those responses, but I'm not too familiar with those methods...It is AutoCAD 15 LT, my data collector is a Trimble with the standard TGOffice. The excel way sounds promising...

Check you data collector most newer models support DXF output including stringing. I worked at one stage for another brand and theirs definately output dxf. GPS data collectors are relatively new so it should be available.

To quote trimbles web page

Data import and export in a variety of GIS and CAD formats

Hi. Having had a quick look at your attached drawing it appears that your "points" already have the attribute data inputted and that you just require a way to display it?

Quote"...using information that exists in the points attributes..."

If this is correct then I would just redefine the block ("DOT in your drawing") and make the attributes "visible" within the drawing. A quick tweak of the block in block editor to create a dynamic stretch with a leader attached to the label would then give you what you require....I think....unless I've read this completely the wrong way? Unfortunately everything I've said comes with ABSOLUTELY no knowledge of the capabilities of LT these days, sorry!?!

When I open the DXF I am able to display the attributes, is there a way to show them with a multileader? Right now the attribute is just displayed as text next to the point, no leader only a basepoint. I'm definitely getting closer here though

if we look at the majority of civil cad software the displaying of point info is a inbuilt function. In the case of CIV3d its done by using a style we have around 15 different ones to pick from. For Civilcad again it has predefined library of displays and so on.

information that needs to be put onto leaders,
You need to tell us what info you want a picture. I still think using excel is way to go as you would normally use lisp. You can take advantage of VBA programming in excel, can you also post a sample file as a csv say Ptnum,East,North,Zed,Description

Again