Creating a block which uses 2 layers

c2610960

I have to create a block which uses 2 layers. The first one is for drawing a simple circle or a square. The second one is a green colored text which needs to be inside my circle or square. I should be allowed to insert specific text I want each time I insert the block. I'm using ACAD 2000. How to do this ?

Make the text an attribute.

On a side note, I'd drop the ACAD 2000. Even the free CAD programs these days are better than such an old version of AutoCAD.

Just be careful when you insert such a block. Even though it has entities on two layers, when you freeze the layer into which you have inserted it, it will disappear. It will also keep the colour of the layers on which it was created, so you will not know which layer you have inserted it in. Make sure that the text is justified Middle or Middle Centre.

I suppose you need to be able to extract attributes at some stage. If you do not need to extract attributes, it may be easier to insert the block exploded, and edit the text.

On a side note, if you are comfortable with AutoCAD 2000, keep on using it :D

Create a layer with the color green, set that current. Use the ATTDEF command to create an attribute, continue from there to make your block.

What I think I done was creating a new attribute and then an attempt to somehow add it to a new block but I don't know how. I cannot see any "add attribute to block" text or something like that when creating a new block. I apologize for asking that obvious questions but I don't have patience to deal with this program. Especially since I have it for 3 months only and barely use it. And please, don't bash me over my choice of using version 2000. My college has the same so I will be able to get used to it better.

Most users draw their geometry, add any attributes then create the block as the last step.

Since you took an entirely different approach by creating the block first then the attribute you have two choices.

1. Explode and recreate the block and its attribute.

2. Right-click and copy the attribute, invoke BEDIT to edit the block, right-click and paste the attribute in the block, save the edited block then back in your drawing use the ATTSYNC command to update the block. When you do this the block will now display the attribute.

BTW...your college and every student who uses AutoCAD is eligible to download and use, for FREE, the latest version of AutoCAD (and many other AutoDesk products) via the Education Community on the AutoDesk website. That's right. At this very moment you, your teacher and all of your classmates could be using AutoCAD 2015 not AutoCAD 2000. The future is now. Why your instructor is not aware of this is beyond me. Here's a link to get you started...

http://www.autodesk.com/education/home

Edited by ReMark

As the block is only a circle with a changeable text in it, it should not be too time consuming to start again.

Draw the circle on its own layer. Then change to the text layer and start the attribute definition. You then define the attribute with Tag and Prompt. Pick the Insertion point as the centre of the circle, and choose Middle justification for the text. Then make the block by picking the circle and the attribute, whose tag will be visible.

Or do it my way and learn two new commands your instructor probably doesn't even know. LoL

What kind of instructor doesn't teach his students how to create a block with attributes?

And please, don't bash me over my choice of using version 2000. My college has the same so I will be able to get used to it better.

I wasn't bashing you. The tongue in cheap comment was in response to eldon's comment as he is still on 2002. My other comment to you was some friendly advice and when I saw that you were a student, I had a reaction similar to ReMark's. I hope you heed his advice and take the initiative to get your college up to speed.

Also, if you plan on using AutoCAD in your place of employment when you graduate, your college is doing you a great injustice by using such an old version. In the mean time, do yourself a favor and try to use keyboard commands as much as possible. The interface in newer versions is quite different from 2000. Different enough so that you sill feel lost if you rely on the toolbars. They have been replaced with the ribbon.

Or do it my way and learn two new commands your instructor probably doesn't even know. LoL

It may be that AutoCAD 2000 does not know these commands either, or that the commands work in a different fashion to the more up-to-date versions.

In AutoCAD 2000 one can go to the Modify menu and choose In-Place Xref and Block Edit. I think the command is REFEDIT if I am not mistaken.

As far as ATTSYNC goes wasn't that part of Express Tools (formerly known as Bonus!) in AutoCAD 2000? I'm pretty sure it was.

c2610960: Where are you located?

Edited by ReMark

And please, don't bash me over my choice of using version 2000. My college has the same so I will be able to get used to it better.

I have to wonder what sort of college is teaching an AutoCAD course using such and old and outdated piece of software. AutoCAD 2000 is over 15 years old. I think these students are going to be in for a real shock when they start working in an office using some of the newer versions. They're going to be completely lost.

Problem solved. At least I hope so. All I needed to do was to draw a circle on one layer, change to a different one, mark the circle, invoke attdef command, add an attribute.

The text "And please, don't bash me over my choice of using version 2000." was rather a request for future answers rather than thinking that I actually got bashed before. I'm sorry that it might have been interpreted incorrectly.

My instructor once said an excuse on why are we using version 2000, but actually I don't remember it. All I know is that in my country it is quite easy for someone who let's say isn't very clever to be accepted to college but we learn things that are only to make them think that studying is not for them. Don't take this as an insult but I never ever wanted to be for example an architect. The course is only to get rid of many unnecessary students. Yes, it's obligatory even for people who want to for example be server administrators, programmers, etc. But nevertheless I think it's my own fault. An engineer shouldn't make himself look like an idiot and should know how to do basic stuff.

We obviously were learning, how to do such a simple task but (again, don't take this as an insult) if I'm not motivated enough to learn it, I will have a hard time.

I once tried a newer ACAD version which surely had that ribbon interface. Trust me, I didn't like it. I'll take an advice to get used to commands when possible. Thank you all for your cooperation.

c2610960: Where are you located?

I'm sorry, I don't want anyone to know more details that should be given away...

Tell your instructor it is time he accepts that it is the 21st century and go visit the AutoDesk website specifically the Education Community. He can download a copy of AutoCAD 2015 and see what he should be teaching his students.

I'm only interested in what country you are located in. I don't need your full name, address and telephone number.