Dynamic Block, Anno Scale and Linear Parameter

Shoey

Hi All

I have an issue with a Dynamic Block which is Annotative and has a Linear Parameter with a Stretch Action.

The drawing DYN-BLOCK-TEST.dwg is attached with a Dynamic block named 'TEST' residing.

The block is inserted with the insertion point in the middle of the top red line.

The stretch grip (Distance 1) is gripped to the middle of the bottom red line and has a value of 20000.

The Annotation Scale is set to 2500.

This block also has a Annotation Scale of 500.

When you switch to the 500 scale, the block rescales accordingly but the 'Distance1' value changes to 4000 which is the difference between the two Annotation Scale factors (2500/500 which is 5).

Now, I do want the block to scale when i switch annotation scales, but i would like the value of the 'Distance1' to remain.

So if Annotation Scale is 2500 and the Distance1 value is 20000, when i switch to the Annotation Scale of 500, i would like the 'Distance1' value to remain at 20000 but the block scale to change to 500.

The box with the 'bow-tie' symbol would then remain in the same location for both Annotation scales.

Is there a way of achieving this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

DYN-BLOCK-TEST.dwg

• 2 months later...

Bump for this one, I have just encountered the same problem in a block I am trying to create.

I don't suppose you found a resolution elsewhere for this problem did you?

Not going to happen. Annotative objects stay the same apparent paperspace size only relative to the current view scale, thus the physical modelspace distances inside them actually do change. The physical size of the block does change in modelspace to accommodate the current view scale. Having anything else happen would be similar to discovering interdimensional space/time travel, or maybe proving the actual existence of a genuine Mobius curve, or Bigfoot. :) Sorry, I could not fix it, but maybe I provided a giggle.

Haha, thanks for the reply Dana. Hey, if you'd seen some of the people that reside in the area of London I live in, you might believe there isn't just one Bigfoot but an entire race of them! :P

I understand what you are saying and I thought it wouldn't work when I created the block but forged ahead anyway. I set up a lookup action to control the stretch distance so I thought it might override the annotative effects if I physically told it what distance I wanted the stretch to go to but it just scaled up these figures. Maybe I'll try a scale action for the block instead of it being annotative, just thought of that as I was typing this. :)

Using a scale action in the block worked to an extent. I still need to reset the length after the scale action is applied, but it doesn't irreversibly scale the length like when the block is annotative. I guess I could try a block table to combine the scale and length but I hate how the block table grip isn't affected by any of the other actions so stays where it is regardless of the size of the block.

UFPT.dwg

Just a little confused but why does this need to be annotative isn't it drawn at 1:1? (is it a visual text thing) as i would have thought that it just needs to be dynamic.

But if you do need to show this at two different scales (in viewports) why not use VisibityScales instead in the block (with your block scaled for each size you need) of course if you need loads of scales could be a bit of a pain.

Just a thought

(of course being me i have probably got the wrong end of the stick as to said purpose :) Dana W your post 1st post was most excellently funny :) )

Makes you wonder if parametric constraints might help but i wouldn't know as i do not use them myself.

Edited by KiLLiNG-TiME

Hi, I originally wanted the block to be annotative so I didn't need to worry about what drawing I pulled it in to from my tool palette. The text would always be the right size for the scale of the drawing, along with the surrounding lines of the block.

I could use visibility actions, I didn't think of that, although at the moment I only need to add a new scale to the lookup table to create each size. I guess I would have to add a stretch action and attributes for each visibility. I would also have to input the attributes information again if I changed the scale at a later date, unless they be linked between each visibility so I only input them once?

OK now i understand, tricky but yes i suspect you could link the attributes somehow but i'd have to have a think about that, i think the best way is the way your going with the lookup table for the moment, will have a ponder over a beer.

Yeah, it was the lazy person in me that wanted to use the annotative function. The scale alternative was something I used on other blocks before I tinkered with them being annotative so it was out of habit that I went straight down that route without thinking about anything else.

I'm sure there must be a way to link fields, I've linked them to add up values before but never within visibilities of the same block. Good plan on the beer! It's a sunny day in the city again today so I'm sure all the pubs will be spilling out onto the streets. :thumbsup:

Hi, I originally wanted the block to be annotative so I didn't need to worry about what drawing I pulled it in to from my tool palette. The text would always be the right size for the scale of the drawing, along with the surrounding lines of the block.

I could use visibility actions, I didn't think of that, although at the moment I only need to add a new scale to the lookup table to create each size. I guess I would have to add a stretch action and attributes for each visibility. I would also have to input the attributes information again if I changed the scale at a later date, unless they be linked between each visibility so I only input them once?

A field with the current scale in it, maybe?

Yeah, it was the lazy person in me that wanted to use the annotative function. The scale alternative was something I used on other blocks before I tinkered with them being annotative so it was out of habit that I went straight down that route without thinking about anything else.

I'm sure there must be a way to link fields, I've linked them to add up values before but never within visibilities of the same block. Good plan on the beer! It's a sunny day in the city again today so I'm sure all the pubs will be spilling out onto the streets. :thumbsup:

I don't know how you guys drink tepid beer, honestly. But I am sure you've heard that one from us yanks before.

Right now, this very minute, 5:15 PM EDT, I am taste testing a Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale. I have never tried it until now, but it is going to go into my top ten. Do you all have the equivalent of the Micro Brewery in Foggy Town?

A field with the current scale in it, maybe?

I haven't really had time to look at this yet but I've got two fields in the block, one which is inputted manually, then the second one which is linked to the stretch action showing the length of the track.

I don't know how you guys drink tepid beer, honestly. But I am sure you've heard that one from us yanks before.

Right now, this very minute, 5:15 PM EDT, I am taste testing a Sierra Nevada India Pale Ale. I have never tried it until now, but it is going to go into my top ten. Do you all have the equivalent of the Micro Brewery in Foggy Town?

The whole micro brewery thing is massive here right now, everyone is doing it. Personally I'm not a huge hop flavour fan, but I still dabble every now and then. I'm more of a bitter drinker or larger, or gin!

Well i have had a play & haven't had an successes as yet, but i did enjoy my beer :) (not tepid) but real ale & there's just so many to chose from last nights was Old Thumper & very nice it was to.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Shoey,

I faced a similar challenge today. If you only needs to use the "box with the bow tie" as as annotation symbol, It's possible!

I made the symbol a annotative block and inserted it on the dynamic block, using the stretch action for the line and the move action for the symbol.

DYN-BLOCK-TEST.dwg