Plotting to image, line weights problem, AutoCad 2012

lechu1777

Hi,

I'm so resigned that I've just registered here to solve my problem that lots of people had and none of solutions helped me even a lil bit. I've been trying to plot a scheme to JPG/TIFF (whatever) for about 4-5 hours now and I just can't do it. I mean it plots but line weights are always and always the same and default and I need just few of them to be 0,3mm on my image. What I tried:

1) setting line weight to the lines I need to be thicker just by changing from ByLayer to 0,3mm. Didn't work

2) creating new layer and setting 0,3mm lineweight and adding my thick lines to that layer. Didn't work

3) Setting line weight in the Plot Style and then for proper color used by that layer. Didn't work

4) Un/Marking "plot line weights" both on Page Setup Manager and Plot pop-up. Didn't work

5) Un/Marking "plot with plot styles" both on Page Setup Manager and Plot pop-up. didn't work

6) Un/Marking "display plot style" on Page Setup Manager and using monochrome and acad to try.

7) Using DWG to TIFF and DWG to JPG. Didn't work

8) I tried something with Layouts, default one that showed my scheme. Also Page Manager and Plot stuff. Didn't work

9) Usually I just plot right clicking Model -> Plot -> What to plot: Window

10) Show/Hide lineweights ON/OFF. Didn't work. I even found some kind of a bug here. If I have "Display plot styles" marked then Show/Hide LW doesn't work at all even though it's ON. I have to disable "display plot styles" to be able to see real lineweights on Model.

11) Installed AutoCAD 2015 and there's nothing changed when it comes to plotting.

12) I tried marking my scheme on Model and then using EXPORT command. It kinda works but it's like a screenshot, the quality sucks and I can't zoom in even a lil bit because it looks even ****tier and I need high quality since it's my final engineering project.

I can't remember anything else I've tried so far. I'll just add my DWG here and you can check it out yourself. There are w few schemes in it and I want to plot the one on the right where I have induction generator connected to DC drive.

schematysilnik.dwg

Thanks in adv for any help :(

Simply give those polylines on the "gru" layer a width and then print.

Select the polylines you want to print thicker, open the Properties palette and change the "Global Width" to whatever you want.

Note: You should really get into the habit of utilizing layers & colors and print using a ctb plot style to control the printed lineweight.

Show/hide lineweights is only for the monitor display screen, and your entertainment. It has nothing to do with plotting, and display plotstyles overrides it anyway. All that is working the way it was intended.

Ok the simple answer we do tiff's all the time you need to rework out your sheet size as a custom sheet, when plotting it takes into account the DPI settings, at first we were getting super thin lines and poor quality. For our A1 sheets the custom size is 810 mm so 200 dpi = 810/25.4*200=6377 & 565/25.4*200 = 4448

The only other thing we had to do was increase the line thickness in our Tiff.ctb by a factor of ten works perfect every time.

Same for jpg's custom sheet size.

; plot to tiff
; uses custom sheet size A1 6mmoff in pixels at 200dpi
(PROMPT ".....PRINTING DRAWING TO TIFF's....")
(setq doc (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
(vlax-for lay (vla-get-Layouts doc)
 (setq plotabs (cons (vla-get-name lay) plotabs))
)
(setq plottablist (acad_strlsort plotabs))
(setq len (length plottablist))
(setq x 0)
(repeat len
 (setq name (nth x plottablist))
 (princ name)
 (if (/= name "Model")
   (progn
     (setvar "ctab" name)

(COMMAND "-PLOT"   "Y"      ""  "TIFF"
       "A1 6mmoff"      "LANDSCAPE"    "N"
       "W"   "-6,-6"    "807,560" "1=0.127"  "C"
       "y"
  "TIFF.ctb"
          "Y"
   "N"
   "N"
   "N"
          ""
   "N"
          "Y"

)
   )
 )
 (setq x (+ x 1))
)
(princ)

Simply give those polylines on the "gru" layer a width and then print.

Select the polylines you want to print thicker, open the Properties palette and change the "Global Width" to whatever you want.

this is exactly what I did in 2nd point and it doesn't work. BUT I finally know what's going on. I wanted to use 0,3mm (a lil bit thicker) and it looks good on Model but it's just not visible on Plot probably because it's not much of a difference between default and 0,3. So I tried 0,35, 0,4 and so on. And guess what? It becomes visible when it's BIG enough. It looks almost bad on Model but after plotting it's ok. So all that time I was doing it the way I should have but I don't know why, lines have to be really thicker and low values are invisible. I'll try CTB plot styles method but it was just really simple and supposedly easy scheme and I though it was going to be fast one. Turned out it wasn't.

Show/hide lineweights is only for the monitor display screen, and your entertainment. It has nothing to do with plotting, and display plotstyles overrides it anyway. All that is working the way it was intended.

I know that, just pointing out a bug.

Create a new layer for the heavy lines, put the objects you want to print heavy on that layer, plot

That actually helped me a lot. I realised that I was doing the right thing all the time.

Ok the simple answer we do tiff's all the time you need to rework out your sheet size as a custom sheet, when plotting it takes into account the DPI settings, at first we were getting super thin lines and poor quality. For our A1 sheets the custom size is 810 mm so 200 dpi = 810/25.4*200=6377 & 565/25.4*200 = 4448

The only other thing we had to do was increase the line thickness in our Tiff.ctb by a factor of ten works perfect every time.

Same for jpg's custom sheet size.

(...)

So is it possible that lines thick ~0,3-0,5mm aren't visible because of DPI / scaling thing? I used 3000/3000 px custom sheet, no good reason, just big enough for decent quality. DPI was set 100 default (Maximum quality setting? or something).

@all

Thanks for fast replies. Finally I got what I wanted but I had to set pretty thick lines to make them visible on plot.

Greetings

You say it's not a bug when something works till I change anything on model e.g. zoom? It kinda looks like something bugged. If option "use plot styles" force NOT to show lineweights then enabling ON/OFF show lineweights on model should definiately force showing them. The way it's now is that we have function that does nothing, we have function ON/OFF that frankly can't be enabled if user isn't experienced enough to know that enabling the function requires disabling the other. Definiately BUG for me. You can have other opinion.

You say it's not a bug when something works till I change anything on model e.g. zoom? It kinda looks like something bugged. If option "use plot styles" force NOT to show lineweights then enabling ON/OFF show lineweights on model should definiately force showing them. The way it's now is that we have function that does nothing, we have function ON/OFF that frankly can't be enabled if user isn't experienced enough to know that enabling the function requires disabling the other. Definiately BUG for me. You can have other opinion.
My statement is not an opinion. It is fact, backed up by 23 years of computer programming experience, and nearly 10 years of experience using AutoCad. It works the way it is intended to. Simply because you don't like the way it works, or do not know how it works, or what it is for, does not make it a bug. It is not broken, therefore it is not a bug. I suggest you hit the F1 key and read up on the explanation of what the lineweights display is meant for, and what it shows you.:rtfm::facepalm:

I made my original post in an effort to help clear up at least one point that seemed to be confusing you about what might be your actual issue. My post was intended to help. If my first one didn't help then this one surely will not.

It looks like you have done what I thought was not possible. I think you got Dana's panties twisted. He's got a point, though. It's funny how many people come here blaming AutoCAD for their lack of know-how. What's even funnier is when people are given good advice and don't realize it.

It looks like you have done what I thought was not possible. I think you got Dana's panties twisted.

:rofl:

He is right though, and it bears repeating:

Simply because you don't like the way it works, or do not know how it works, or what it is for, does not make it a bug. It is not broken, therefore it is not a bug.