Fit viewport on a rectangle

Gotrekk

Hi everyone,

just a quick question:

I have a rectangle (210x297) in the model space and i have a viewport (210x297). How do i align the viewport on the rectangle without panning manually???

thanks in advance,

regards

Hi nestly,

i tried that already but it changes my scale and it doesn't work.. i want it to keep the scale at 1:1000

i will try it again tomorrow on a different drawing and let you know

thanks

If the Modelspace rectangle and the viewport are both 210x297, and are supposed to align with each other, that can only happen at 1:1 scale. The Modelspace rectangle would have to be 210,000 x 297,000 to be aligned with the Viewport at 1:1000 scale.

mmm it still doens't work.

Do you mind checking my file attached?

could it be a coordinates issue? I specified EPSG:3004

rectangle is 190 x 277 in both model and paperspace but i'm unable to align them

template_test.dwg

I can confirm that it's not working as I expected in your drawing... this is the first time I've ever encountered that, perhaps it is the coordinate system?

Assuming you have Express Tools installed, I believe ALIGNSPACE command should work, (just start the command and follow the command line prompts). Otherwise, Zoom > [C]enter, then use the Annotative Scale list to change the Viewport scale (1:1)

mmm it still doens't work.

Do you mind checking my file attached?

could it be a coordinates issue? I specified EPSG:3004

rectangle is 190 x 277 in both model and paperspace but i'm unable to align them

[ATTACH]52665[/ATTACH]

Welcome to CADTutor! :)

I know squat about cartography, and seeing that nestly has responded already, perhaps I have misspoken in the following.

Nestly is, as is generally the case, right on the money. :beer:

You can align them, but unless you scale your viewport to 1:1, they will appear to be different sizes. I hope that helps you.

paperspace modelspace problem.jpg

I just selected 1:1 and it zoomed in correctly see attached

I tried using Zoom to Object, and it didn't work, but if you use the ZOOM command, then just pick diagonally opposed corner grips it works fine,

and yes the viewport scale will wind up as 1:1, as has been previously suggested. If that is what you want, then LOCK your viewport once you have it

displaying like you want.

The way the thread is named is kind of bass-ackwards.

I think what you want to do is FIT your rectangle INTO the viewport,

and that will be done using scaling @ 1:1.

Edited by Dadgad

allllright!!!!! thanks everyone for the interest!

@dadgad that's a nice trick

but @nestly was spot on! ALIGNSPACE is the best solution for me! it works flawlessy and easily

is there a way to snap the zoom -> window to the rectangle's corners?

well well.... looks like OSNAPCOORD 0 was the answer to my question about the zoom -> window snapping :) so that would be another way of doing it... zoom -> window and then snap to the rectangle opposite corners

thanks again everyone

ops, i think i didn't save one of my answers... i basically was thanking all of you for the help!

@Dadgad for the nice trick (it may be useful soon or later) and @nestly for being spot on and giving me the best solution with the ALIGNSPACE command! it works flawlessy and easily! :)

well well.... looks like OSNAPCOORD 0 was the answer to my question about the zoom -> window snapping :) so that would be another way of doing it... zoom -> window and then snap to the rectangle opposite corners

thanks again everyone

Glad to hear that you are back on the tracks. :)

Just for the record, what is your viewport scale in the viewport now,

and did you remember to do yourself a big favor and LOCK it?

The default option for ZOOM is such that you don't need to specify Window first,

just pick the diagonally opposed corners, and you are good to go,

and you save yourself a couple of keystrokes.

If you make your viewport and viewing area in model space the same size and if you want to do this with more than one viewport simply create a view in model space of the area corner to corner and in the viewport restore the view you created. Will fit perfectly.

Just a question why are you making them the same size? You can make your viewport larger and zoom 1:1 and it will fit perfectly where ever you want it.