DRAWORDER keeps changing

so, I have a raster image underlay in my drawing and I set the DRAWORDER to BACK in order to trace over. The problem is, when I do certain commands, like for instance, merge layers, or move something, it undoes the draw order and the image moves back to the front in a seemingly arbitrary way.

The question would be, how do I set it so it stays in the back no matter what new layers I add or if I move something or delete something, etc. I just want it to stay put.

any ides?

You should check your DRAWORDERCTL system variable setting, and adjust it, as per the screen capture.

I believe that the default value out of the box is , perhaps your setting has been changed.

Dana's suggestion (REGEN) should reinstate the desired draworder display in your drawing.

I didn't check it, but Dipali's suggestion also seems like a good viable alternative.

drawordercontrol options.jpg

Interested to try this variable tommorrow have background image, then a wipeout then linework, must send to back in order and other trick is linework is at elev 1, else wipeout does just that.