Image units management

sinergy

Hi,

I just saw a video tutorial on how to "

"and there it is shown how changing the drawing units (from the user preferences) for a file reflects in a change in those units themselves (from inches to millimeters for examples) in the drawing.

I have tried to do this in different files or even in the same file, by for instance inserting a block or a line which is defined in inches and changing the user prefs by setting mm as the units, and nothing seems to change when in the tutorial one can see that by inserting the same block under two different units systems the (visual) size of the block changes.

Generally speacking how can I be sure that a given size is in a certain unit? It would help that if along the measurement (as given by the GetDistance command, for example) the unit of measurement would appear just beside

Any help appreciated

One of the downsides I guess to insert blocks created in imperial/metric units into a drawing that is set to use metric/imperial units (take your pick).

Hi

sure. Still how do I know if I am using correct type of unit if I can't see any change in the measurements after changing the unit type? I think there must be something wrong with how I set up the drawing environment in the first place, what I would like to see is that if my unit types is inches and I draw a line 1 inch long and I measure it I get 1 (inch) as a measurement, but if I change the unit type to mm (in another file may be?) and I draw a line of the same visual lenght then I should get 25 (mm)

Is this reasoning correct?

Well in AutoCAD the user can be a little more sure of themselves if they start with the right drawing template. See, the default template file in AutoCAD is set up to use imperial units (decimal inches). The template file name is acad.dwt whereas the metric template file goes by the name acadiso.dwt and it is setup to use millimeters. I suspect it is something similar in DraftSight but I've never checked since I use the default template called standard.dwt. Note that DS happens to also have a standardiso.dwt template file as well.

One other thing you have to consider is that not all blocks are created the same. Different users will use different methodologies so you cannot always be certain that what you download is going to work the way you expect it to.