Can CAD do maths

AJSmith

I have a set of standard layout for traffic management (lane closures and such) we have to put on a location ref for each sign so the guys can install the signs in the right location.

As they are standard layout they all follow a pattern so get tedious writing out these ref's for each sign

If I was to enter a start ref can CAD work out what the others should be?

It will be easier for someone to answer if you could give, an example, maybe a dwg to show what you are after, and how you do it now, so we can see the math.

so building on this I want to have the data in a nice block but hit a snag is their a way of putting attributes into a table so they can be edited from the block properties?

AAH So it's you that is responsible for all this !!! Forgive me but this just looks like a standard issue drawing. Does this need reproducing for each individual case? following the actual shape of the road. Or is it the distances and quantities of items that you want to be able to control? I'm not sure if I'll be able to help because full Autocad has a different set of tools for dealing with data extraction and tables, just trying to get a clear picture of what it is that is so time consuming.

What is it that you are wanting AutoCAD to calculate? Do want to input the mileage "3.1" and let AutoCAD automatically insert all of the subsequent ones?

Using lisp you can set base point and as you add a block compare say X distance and use this as the attribute value you display, like wise the text displaying the distance, do you know much about lisp ?

;Simple example
(setq basept (getpoint "Pick base point")) ; note nothing appears on screen this remains a global variable
(defun insblkdist ( / pt2 dist)
(setq pt2 (getpoint "Pick sign pt "))
(setq dist (rtos (distance pt2 basepoint) 2 0)) ; this make distance a string for attribute
; insert block now
)

I would be more inclined to make the block insertion distance automated as well so enter 200 and block is placed 200 away from base point and just repeat for as many as required.

I've attached a copy of your drawing with an embedded macro that will automatically enter your text. It requires a start mileage and the mileage of the last cone. To run the macro, on the Ribbon go to the Manage tab > Applications panel > Run VBA Macro, select the macro and click the Run button.

lane 1-macro.dwg

Edited by Tyke