Move and array in Dynamic Block

Mirkin

Hi

I'm having trouble setting up a dynamic block and was hoping for a little help.

I want to be able to increase the number of items in an array which is sandwiched between 2 other items. I then need one of the end items to move so that it is still on the end after the new array is created.

I've included my efforts so far.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Terminals.dwg

What is supposed to happen when the distance between the two outer panels is larger than the number of arrayed items? can you have a gap somewhere (top or bottom) or does the distance need to be limited to only work with the array step distance.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not sure what you mean when you say it still needs to be on the end.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try and explain a bit more clearly.

If I increase the number of items in the array to 3 or 4 or whatever number I'd like the top bracket to move up to be on the end of the new array. So it would look like the drawing attached.

Cheers

Terminalsexpanded.dwg

Hmm

I'm very new to DB's but I think I can go to the linear dimension and make a it incremental.

Unless you can tell me an easier way of course.

If the end is only allowed to move by the distance of the arrayed object, then that is the way to do it. I've attached an example that just uses one linear parameter, is this what you meant?

Terminals-b.dwg

That's precisely what I meant. I was over thinking it.

It works great but now of course I tried to do something else with it.

I put a rotation on it and it's acting weird. (example attached)

Can you do both things on the same block?

Thanks for your help again.

Terminals-c.dwg

Yes you can, but it's not straight forward. In this case when you are wanting a rotate action to work with other parameters, you need to include the other parameters into the rotate action set, but not the other actions. There are probably rules about this somewhere, I just don't know where.

You need to make sure that bactionbarmode=0 so that in the block editor the actions show up as lightning bolts (when bactionbarmode=1 they show as square boxes - once again the reason is beyond me for the difference) but if it is set to =0 then when you click on an action, all the geometry, parameters and actions that are in the selection set become highlighted, so you can easily see what is included. When it =1 the geometry and parameters that are in the selection set are highlighted but not the actions for some reason (this is one of very few cases where Autocads own help files are not very helpful).

Terminals-d.dwg

Steve,

Thanks for all the help.

That does exactly what I need. I'll study what you explained when I get chance but for now I'll just use it.

Dynamic blocks are super powerful but not all that easy to grasp, but I will get there.

Chris

Chris

Good luck, and yes not that easy. When you start to study it, let me know if you have any questions about it. To be fair in most cases you don't normally need to think about linking actions together, so you did happen to stumble on a bit of a problem case.