How to make text within polyline

acadesign09

Hi to all and admin

Can anybody knows how to make polyline with text together. Am designing piping and I want the text being attach to on the line without typing text again and again.

Thanks

Ah....create a custom linetype. Load the linetype. Start the Polyline command. Draw. It's that easy. Or is your problem of a different nature? Let me guess. Each polyline will have different text. Is that it? If that is the case please provide an example DWG so we can get some idea what you are dealing with. Thanks.

It sounds to me like you should be learning about MULTILEADER styles.

If you search on the forum, or in Autocad help, you should find plenty of

information to help you.

It might even just be a QLEADER, which you customize to your taste.

We use tags instead of custom linetypes. We need more control of the locations of the pipe labels.

Instead of typing the same text multiple times, why don't you copy it?

You could even make blocks of the different pipe labels and never have to type them again.

Sounds like use a pline labler lsp instead of say length between vertices you write a size. Search here.

2nd question is it a single pline or do you do multiple lines c/l plus outsides if so then add text as part of a lisp when creating lines. We have PXXX that has lots of predefined sizes so pipes are drawn correct OD.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're doing piping you're probably going to have line numbers that you want in the line, right? Something awful like 7-3/4"-SC40-9031-30CSTL-ST1 or some such typical pipe line number. I'd do what ReMark suggested, even if you spend half a day just creating and loading linetypes. I do it all the time with structure and just do a brute force takeoff of every type of member in a structure, then make and load a linetype for each one (W12x40, W24x148, C8x11.5, etc.) and then I can use my line drawing to get takeoffs for a bunch of stuff. I'd imagine it would be similarly useful with pipe. QuickSelect for the linetype 7-3/4"-SC40-9031-30CSTL-ST1 or whatever and you can instantly have that whole line selected. Data Export to Excel and you can have a quick way to add up the length of all 3/4" lines, all chrome pipe, etc.

These other folks have ideas that are maybe better than mine, but I'm honestly not sure what some of them are - this is just what I've figured out :)

Usually I end up with something like 30-50 different types of linetype. I can reuse some, but it seems like there's always something slightly different in the notation that forces me to recreate them each time, but overall it's not that much work really. Once it done, it's kind of nice having the linetype show you the member size without even zooming in to read the text (or pipe in the OP's case). I'm pretty interested in the tags that RobDraw mentioned, that's new to me.

There is nothing special about them. They are simple blocks with an attribute(s) and a wipeout(s). We also are starting to use text with a background mask instead of a block. They can be placed on top of the line at your choice of location. With this method you can place your labels in an orderly fashion of your choosing. With a linetype, the placement is driven by the definition sometimes giving you results that look messy.

I can see how, especially with pipe or drawing a P&ID like maybe the OP does how you'd want one or maybe two labels on a given line, probably all lined up and probably off to the side or some area where there wasn't a bunch of other stuff going on. What I usually do is a) use small text (it's for my reference, not for plotting) and, 2) make a duplicate of all the geometry with plain centerline linetype that looks nice and clean for plotting.

Colin a hint via lisp if you use layers then pick line and text appears at pick point and orientated correctly.

For the original OP

*GAS_MAIN_EXISTING,Existing Gas main - - -G- - -G- - -G- - -G- - -
A,5.08,-5.08,5.08,-5.08,["G",STANDARD,S=1.8,R=0.0,X=-1.8,Y=-.9],-3