Dilemma...

Variables

Greetings. My name is Jim

Let me begin by saying I have no formal training, nor have I worked with a CAD program. My dilemma, is that I have a patented, outdoor recreational product, that I designed, and I need to have a CAD drawing produced. This will enable me to generate mass production (injection or compression mold) quotes.

The product is hand sized, currently composed of laminated layers. So it's not a complicated design. I have done some homework, but the CAD industry is a tad larger than I expected. I'm considering buying a CAD program, if what I need can be obtained for less than $1500.00 - $2000.00. I would like to have the bending tool, and animation abilities.

It's possible I may be biting off a little more than I can chew, but I'm optimistic I can learn enough about CAD, to do this myself. Maybe I just need someone to generate the CAD for me, I'm open to the idea. But I have ideas in my head for accessory products, and expanded designs of my current design. So, this is why I'm leaning towards, buying the program.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks...

Welcome to the CADTutor forum Jim.

Have you considered leasing rather than buying a program? The downside is that until you learn the program you are on the hook for the monthly leasing cost. I don't think you could fully learn a program like AutoDesk Inventor in the available 30-day trial period. See this re: Pay As You Go Software.

http://www.autodesk.com/subscription/desktop

Maybe another forum member can suggest an alternative.

I would start with the "free" 30 day trial that autodesk offers, for AutoCAD or inventor, then start working on some of the tutorials found on this and many other sights.

there are several CNC software companies that my meet your neeeds as well, find out what file type .DXF .DWG .SAT ect.. you are going to need for manufacturing and if the software can export it.

What area are you in? Depending on your area, you may be in a better position to just pay someone to do it for you. You can advertise on Craigslist, or someone on here could do it I'm sure. It may be something like a few hundred dollars worth of time if someone's willing to help you out and make a little on the side. We have some very nice members on this forum that definitely would be interested I'm sure. I believe there's a jobs portion of this site and you could negotiate through Private Message or Email.

The reason I say just let someone do it is because it'll be done quick and it'll be professional. If you want to take the time to learn, by all means, but if this is the one and only CAD and 3D animation job you'll ever do, then having someone else produce it may be the best option overall.

-TZ

Just back from the day job...

Hey, thanks for the replies. All, excellent info. I think I might try the jobs section of this forum initially, then resort to craigslist in my area of Cincinnati. I won't need animation for my current product, but an accessory design I have in my head, will. So, that should speed up the process a little more.

Thanks again...

- Jim

.... I'm considering buying a CAD program, if what I need can be obtained for less than $1500.00 - $2000.00. I would like to have the bending tool, and animation abilities.

Autodesk Fusion 360 is FREE to users or companies that are not yet profitable. And even after your new products start generating millions in profits - the program is only $30/month (or less on year subscription).

And Fusion 360 runs on Windows or Mac OS. (internet connection required)

As a frequent advertiser here - there is often a link to the software at the top of this page.

My students often take on projects like this - but unfortunately we have more than we can handle this semester.

Have you tried Dassault Systemes 'Draftsight' program. It's a free downloadable program and all you need do is register with your email to activate it.

It looks very much like the AutoCAD interface and will help you learn the basics before you decide to purchase/lease a full blown AutoCAD package.

Here's the ISP address were you can download a free copy - http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

I'm not finding a "jobs" section here on the forum. Could be I didn't look hard enough lol. If someone could point me in that direction, it would be appreciated.

- Jim