Disappearing Text in Block

I've created a block representing my border and title block complete with logo and company info. I'm setting up a drawing to use as a template that will contain several different layouts and sheet sizes. When I insert the block for my border and title info, I've been scaling the block to coincide with the sheet size in that layout. Works fine. However, if I need to explode the scaled block some of the text in the block disappears. Nothing is frozen or off in the way of layers.

Wondering why and how to make it stop?

Can you post the block, it's difficult to pinpoint the problem by guessing at what is going on, could it be that the text is contained in attributes or in visibility states?

I opened the drawing, and inserted the (blue) titleblock/border line into paperspace on an 8 1/2 x 11 layout, exploded it and nothing disappeared.

I did note two anomalies. The text block with the company name in it has the website address shot off to one side, and that text block is annotative with only the 1:1 scale assigned to it.

If the view where the block is inserted is not 1:1, that text will disappear upon exploding the block. However, paperspace is always 1:1 with the exception of the viewport so it should not disappear.

I don't have anything really to go on here, beyond that.

Dana

The text disappears only after I scale the block to move up to a larger sheet size. If I insert the block without scaling nothing disappears for me either. Only if I scale at insertion.

I changed the text style for the company name to standard, remade the block, inserted and scaled and when I exploded the block the text stayed put. Seems I need to rework the text in that area. Hope that's it.

Thanks Dana.

Edit the mtext and change it to no columns.
That, and remove the annotative property from the text. When you re-made the text box as STANDARD style, it was no longer annotative.

Previously when you scaled up the original title block, the annotative text disappeared because it only had the 1:1 scale assigned to it, so it could not appear at any other scale. That's how annotative scaling objects work.

Here's :shock:TOO MUCH :shock:information for you in a (not so much) nutshell. An annotative object's purpose is to appear on paper, the same size in any scaled view. They will not show up in a scaled view(port) unless that view scale, called annotative scale in AutoCad, is assigned to the object. I use annotative text, multileaders, and dimensions exclusively, with the text height set at 1/8". Each viewport where the text and dimensions are supposed to show up may have a different scale, so I assign the annotative items the scales of the views where I want them to appear. Then, they are all 1/8" high in all the differently scaled viewports.

The reasoning behind this:

A full floor plan for a large house has only the broad dimensions for each room, at 1/4" = 1'-0" on one layout. On another layout at 1"=1-0", an enlarged floor plan of a bathroom showing dimensions for toilet. sink, shower. tub, and maybe a linen closet will have dimensions for all the little stuff that would not be very clear on the 1/4" = 1'-0" plan. In each viewport, regardless of scale, all the dimensions, most text items, and multileader text are 1/8" high, and all their arrowheads and leaders are the same size.

In reality, in modelspace all of the dimensions and things are present on the floor plan, but in the layouts only the necessary items show up.

There is a select item in the text style editor where you can add or remove the annotative property and individual or all scales globally for the entire text style, but I'd check the office standards first. Then again maybe it is a legacy text style left over from some past employee. You can also remove the annotative property and/or individual scales from a single text object through the Properties command. But, it is best to simply make a new text style using that one as a model, the style editor will do that if you pick it, and make the copy non-annotative, but change nothing else but the style name of the new one. Once the text is non-annotative, it will still be the same size as the original, but only at 1:1 scale.

Edited by Dana W

Thanks Dana,

I already have a handle on the concept of annotative objects, paper space vs. model space etc. etc. At least I think I do some of the time! Still a lot to learn though. I think my problem was as simple as forgetting to change from an annotative text style into a standard, or non annotative text style to create the company info when I set up the border and title as a block. I went back last night and simply redid the text in question in a non annotative style and all seems well. Really appreciate your taking the time to type out an explanation. Even if you understand the broad strokes ACAD still has curve balls to throw your way.

Thanks Dana,

I already have a handle on the concept of annotative objects, paper space vs. model space etc. etc. At least I think I do some of the time! Still a lot to learn though. I think my problem was as simple as forgetting to change from an annotative text style into a standard, or non annotative text style to create the company info when I set up the border and title as a block. I went back last night and simply redid the text in question in a non annotative style and all seems well. Really appreciate your taking the time to type out an explanation. Even if you understand the broad strokes ACAD still has curve balls to throw your way.

Glad I could help. Since you hadn't mentioned your experience level, I was just making sure you were up on it enough to see what happened. Sounds like you have it.

Curve balls indeed. I've been drafting since 1970, and doing AutoCad since 2005, and I still see stuff I can't even begin to think how it happened. I used to be able to handle splines with no issues, so what does AutoDesk do? They added nurbs based splines, is what they did. I have yet to get them to play nice with others. Oh, they're fine on initial placement, but manipulate them and they try and run away.:facepalm: