Using Parametrics to form a Triangle

hi everyone! I have a fair amount of CAD experience, just not with using parameters to define geometry. I've looked up videos and manuals and still are unclear on how to solve my problem.

Essentially, I am trying to create a triangle by defining the hypotenuse and the the base angle. It is a 90deg triangle, so the leg and base of the triangle should be defined by a hypotenuse length.

My attempt at the block was to draw a triangle, add dimensional linear parameter and from there, I'm lost. I'd like to just be able to edit parameters (via the command line) and then enter the hypot. length and the angle.

Any help on doing this? Thanks!

11069824_10152826562558237_1579420524_o.jpg?oh=0b437d00ca470642b4729d95b2bd924f&oe=5508F194&__gda__=1426652549_9f98a00641e52dfccc0b633cd16e6cfa

I would not use actions and parameters if you plan on using dimensional constraints, on your pallet add constraints and use dimensions to controll the hyp and angle. you can then modify the block via the properties manager.

I'm seeing that many of the actions I'm trying to do are because i have LT. Many parametric constraints are not available on this version.

However, I did what you said and went to edit the dimensions in the properties manager, and I was able to view but not edit them. Is this another LT thing or a 'me' thing I'm doing wrong?

I appreciate the response.

Unfortunately LT can only view constraints created in full Autocad, but it can't create them itself. Attached is a bit of a bodge, select the block and in the properties palette you can enter the hypotenuse and the angle, Autocad will automatically return the values for position X & Y just type those values into the boxes for Opposite and Adjacent. Or you can play with dragging the grips about in the drawing.

Triangle.dwg

a/sin(a)=b/sin(b)=c/sin© this would be useful as you know angle a is 90 and know its length a, only unknown then would be angle b or c this will give lengths b & c not sure in constraints. Had a quick go need to constrain end point, some one help ?

Maybe a excel cheat ? just copy and paste insert point then write a simple 3xline column copy paste back to LT, really only usefull if doing lots.

Thats one of the drawbacks to LT, no way to constrain things and no way to automatically input to parameters, we can use diesel and cal to do all the math, but can only output the results to something like a field (or use the results in a macro to draw objects) but thet cannot be used to drive a dynamic block. It does make life interesting, when you know the answer, but there is just no way to do it.

Maybe my cut and paste to excel is not that silly. Will have to look into a substr function for the paste line x=12345.678. Y=98765.234 to give x and y in seperate cells in VBA Watch this space.