Block w/ Attributes Not Overwriting Existing Block as Expected

kazooracer

The company that I recently started working for uses 2014 LT and have several title block blocks that they have been using unchanged for a number of years. The blocks have attributes for drawing number, title, drawn by, etc..

I would like to add a new attribute to one of the blocks so that when it is inserted into a drawing with the existing block it inherits the existing attributes, but then the used could choose to double click on an attribute so that they could fill in the information for the new attribute that I created. But when I perform a DDINSERT, it asks me if I want to redefine the block (I choose yes), it inserts the new file and takes on all the existing attributes, but the attribute that I added does not appears when I double-click the existing attributes.

Is there no way to do what I'm trying? Hopefully I've done a decent job trying to explain what I'm looking for.

First thing I would try is the attsync command, and follow the prompts - pick a block - and accept yes to update. Adding attributes can be problematic with existing blocks, if that doesn't help then maybe post a drawing so someone can check for other issues

Did you try ATTSYNC?

ATTSYNC

Updates block references with new and changed attributes from a specified block definition.

Access Methods

Button

Ribbon: Home tabBlock panelSynchronize Attributes

Toolbar: Modify II

Command entry: attsync

Summary

You are prompted for the names of blocks you want to update with the current attributes defined for the blocks.

Use this command to update all instances of a block containing attributes that was redefined using the BLOCK or BEDIT commands. ATTSYNC does not change any values assigned to attributes in existing blocks.

NoteUse the ATTREDEF command to redefine and update blocks in one command.

Entering ? displays a list of all block definitions in the drawing. Enter the name of the block you want to update.

Pressing ENTER allows you to use your pointing device to select the block whose attributes you want to update.

If a block you specify does not contain attributes or does not exist, an error message is displayed, and you are prompted to specify another block.

Warning

ATTSYNC removes any format or property changes made with the ATTEDIT or EATTEDIT commands. It also deletes any extended data associated with the block, and might affect dynamic blocks and blocks created by third-party applications.

Thanks all for refreshing my memory on ATTSYNC. I totally forgot about that one. I tried it out on my test block and it did what I needed.

Thanks!