Reducing File Sizes

itsonlybarney

What is the best way of reducing DWG file sizes. The files I'm working with are about 14MB, and only have about 2000 objects within them, primarily lines and polylines with some text.

Following a purge, the file size seems to increase slighty (~100KB).

I did an audit on the file, which corrected 18 errors, but no change in file size.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

What is the best way of reducing DWG file sizes. The files I'm working with are about 14MB, and only have about 2000 objects within them, primarily lines and polylines with some text.

Following a purge, the file size seems to increase slighty (~100KB).

I did an audit on the file, which corrected 18 errors, but no change in file size.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Delete all unwanted sheets run Overkill selecting all and rerun purge all items again

I have seen complete dwg's living inside a dwg when using copy and paste and then not trying to explode the offending block and deleting it etc. Look for the $a$cxf23 blocks.

Just digging deeper, the file has 787 text styles. Which I am guessing is the problem.

However, I have changed all the TEXT and MTEXT to a single text style, but I can not delete the others. It says there is still a reference for it.

Try using " -PURGE ", yes, include the hyphen, as it is important.

Then select R for Regapps first, follow the commandline prompts,

then select A for all, follow the prompts, and when it is done, try using AUDIT again,

and let it fix any issues.

If that doesn't cut the mustard, you might try opening it with 2015, or the free DWG True View 2015,

or whatever the latest one is called from the Autodesk website, as the Purge functionality in 2015 has been enhanced.

Overlooked CIV3D you can never purge the CIV3d styles these lock up an immense amount of stuff that is not used. But you can PURGESTYLES then purge, a word of warning they will not then be available if you do edits but IMPORTSTYLES can get them back.

If your dwg is just that and not CIV3D based then wblock it and say No to include Map info, the end result can be massive shrinkage.

Overlooked CIV3D you can never purge the CIV3d styles these lock up an immense amount of stuff that is not used. But you can PURGESTYLES then purge, a word of warning they will not then be available if you do edits but IMPORTSTYLES can get them back.

If your dwg is just that and not CIV3D based then wblock it and say No to include Map info, the end result can be massive shrinkage.

Thanks for the heads up BIGAL, the last thing I want to do is knock over the apple cart.

I have never used Civil 3D, was not aware mine was software specific vertically inappropriate advice. :)

Edited by Dadgad

If you are not using layouts in file, try wblocking the selected objects, whatever is visible in tones drawing.

Alternatively

You can try erase- select object - all and then remove objects using cross window all the visible objects on screen.

And then retry purge and audit.