AutoCAD 2015 Object Overlap

I was recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2015 and it seems as though a "tool" from previous versions has either been removed or I can not find out how to turn it on. Before I was upgraded, I could have two identical objects (lets say circles with a 1" diameter), I could move one circle on top of the other and if I don't click to place the selected circle, both would essentially dissapear or ghost. Once I clicked to place the object it would appear as normal with one circle directly on top of the other. If the two objects are not identical, then they would not ghost. I use this "tool"to overlay parts that have sometimes hundreds of features, in order to find out what is different between the two. Does anyone know what I am rambling about or need me to explain a bit more? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows how to re-enable this "tool".

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

It sounds like you want to turn off SELECTION PREVIEW, on the SELECTION tab in your OPTIONS.

There are a number of display options controlled by the PREVIEW section, which I have circled in red. These screenshots are from Autocad 2013, but I suspect they are more or less the same in 2015. The second one is from the SYSVDLG (System Variable Dialog) function, which is a good one, if you are not familiar with it,

as it explains different options available in your system variable settings. Should you be inclined to customize them,

and who wouldn't want to? Then it is a good idea to save a .svf at the bottom of the dialog box, so as to facilitate

resetting, sharing, or migrating your personal preferences. :wink:

selection preview options.jpg

sysvdlg selectionpreview.jpg

I believe AutoCAD 2015 added SELECTIONEFFECT as well.

Selection Effects

Moving the cursor over objects makes them look thicker and also lighter or darker depending on the background color.

When hardware acceleration is used selected objects gets another color as well as look thicker to make it easier to see what is selected.

"Visual Effect Settings" dialog box in OPTIONS>Selection has been updated. The separate settings for line and face highlighting has been removed as there should be no need for it with the improved graphic and performance added.

Thank you both for your replies. I had actually previously turned off selection preview when I did my original customization to get AutoCAD back to what I think is normal lol. I did try turning it on again to see if it made a difference though, to no affect. Selectioneffect removed the annoying highlight when an object was selected. One of my coworkers stumbled on the answer and it is turning off the hardware acceleration under the "System" tab and then graphics performance

If turning off Hardware Acceleration gave you the desired results, then you have a problem with your graphics card and/or driver.

What are your computer specifications and graphics card and driver?

Windows 7 Pro

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 graphics card, driver version 9.18.13.4066

Intel® Xeon® CPU ES-1620 0 @ 3.6GHZ, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Precessors

I just updated my drivers using the link you attached and turned hardware acceleration back on. Turning it back on removed the function that I am trying to achieve. The top image is with hardware acceleration turned off and the bottom image is with hardware acceleration turned on. Hardware Acceleration On.jpg

Oh and I have 16 gigs of RAM

Hardware Acceleration Off.jpg

Sure. There isn't anything special about the drawing, just a couple 1" diameter circles. But here it is.[ATTACH]53529[/ATTACH]

Where is the OBJECT OVERLAP?

There are only 2 identical coplanar circles, not sure what you mean by overlap.

Might you want to turn on F12, for dynamic input?

Scratching my head, trying to help.

I expected there to be at least 3 circles in the drawing, with one immediately behind the other.

Having reread your earlier post, I now understand that you likely intended it to be as previously described.

I tried copying and moving them atop one another to understand the ghosting of which you spoke,

but I still don't get it.

Might you be talking about the way the continuous linetype displays differently,

indicating the presence of another line below it, while still mid command?

Might it be a DISPLAY issue, controlled by VIEWRES?

Edited by Dadgad

Seems there may be something different with 2015 and SELECTIONEFFECT

Selection Effects

Moving the cursor over objects makes them look thicker and also lighter or darker depending on the background color.

When hardware acceleration is used selected objects gets another color as well as look thicker to make it easier to see what is selected.

"Visual Effect Settings" dialog box in OPTIONS>Selection has been updated. The separate settings for line and face highlighting has been removed as there should be no need for it with the improved graphic and performance added.

I still wouldn't turn off Hardware acceleration for that.