Where can i get help

Hi guys,

Im doing the layout for my friends condo, I took the measurements down and I'm running into problems, does anyone where I can get help??

Are there any sites?

Perhaps here? (maybe I'm in the wrong thread?)

I went to take measurements at my friends condo and the dimensions I took at his house dont seem to add up.

I was looking for a site where someone would be able to take a look at my work and aid me where I could've went wrong.

This is my first time I've ever done this and its turning out to be a nightmare, I thought this would be a piece of cake, lol

Surveying is an art in itself. People think that it is easy to take measurements, but you have to take the right measurements!

AutoCAD is super accurate, so if you do not take super accurate dimensions, you will have problems drawing it up.

Never trust your eye to see right angles. If in doubt, take diagonal dimensions. If you measure a triangle, you can draw this and be confident of the result.

What have you got? There are people on this forum, who have done this all before, so you might be on the right forum after all.

Are you trying to draw a floor plan, elevations or both?

Measurements that don't add up could be due to a couple of things. How did you take these measurements? Are you working in imperial or metric units?

Eldon: Should I post a pic of the measurements I took (and what they should be in autocad) and then post a pic of what I get? or is there another way, I could supply the info?

Remark: Im doing a floor plan and Im using imperial units. (I know metric is better, but im used to measuring in imperial)

What is the EXACT problem with the measurements you took versus what they should be in AutoCAD? Why should they be different? If you measured a wall and it was six feet four and one half inches long then that is exactly the length you draw it in AutoCAD. You don't draw "to scale" as one might do on a drawing board. Draw everything FULL size no matter how big or how small.

Did you change your units from decimal to architectural? Did you specify the precision?

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post too so we can see what you have accomplished thus far. The sooner the better.

The first thing I would do if the drawing was not working out, would be to site check all dimensions. It is a pain to measure in fractions of an inch, and with so many dimensions, it is very easy to transpose figures or to even write them down incorrectly, or illegibly.

If you have a site sketch, are the dimensions written at the proper place?

How are you measuring, with a tape, handheld laser or sonic device? All have their peculiarities and need to be used properly. Make sure the zero is really at the zero point.

Measure diagonals frequently. Measure overall dimensions, and do not rely on summing a string of dimensions. Measure to the nearest 1/8 inch.