Read and write Coordinate Reference System on AutoCAD using .NET API

LAD

Hello,

AutoCAD Map and AutoCAD Civil 3D has the ability of storing Coordinate Reference System embedded in a drawing.

I have been making some testing and I think that this is stored in the NOD (Named Object Dictionary) because I found a entry named "Autodesk_MAP".

Inside this entry I only found some objects identifiers, proxy objects, RXClass objects and this kind of stuff.

There is a way or read and write Coordinate Reference System using .NET API a vanilla Autocad edition, not Map or Civil 3D?

Thanks.

Hello,

AutoCAD Map and AutoCAD Civil 3D has the ability of storing Coordinate Reference System embedded in a drawing.

I have been making some testing and I think that this is stored in the NOD (Named Object Dictionary) because I found a entry named "Autodesk_MAP".

Inside this entry I only found some objects identifiers, proxy objects, RXClass objects and this kind of stuff.

There is a way or read and write Coordinate Reference System using .NET API a vanilla Autocad edition, not Map or Civil 3D?

Thanks.

Welcome to CADTutor.

Consider modifying CivilDocument.Settings.DrawingSettings, as Partha demonstrates here.

Cheers

My misunderstanding; you're wanting to develop a mechanism to assign, and persistently store a coordinate system to a vanilla AutoCAD Database.

There's a reason that this functionality is only available to verticals such as Map 3D, and Civil 3D - and there's more to it than simply implementing a data structure within NOD of sufficient complexity. There are many other considerations, and even event handlers, Object Overrules, etc. that may be applicable to handle insertions and the like.

What is your current plan for correlating a base point in AutoCAD, to a given real-world coordinate system, let alone a datum?

Methinks you're going to end up spending more time and budget attempting this on your own than an annual subscription would cost to simply obtain the vertical product itself - I could be utterly incorrect, which is fine - however you're taking on a daunting task that even verticals that are 5-15 years in the making do not handle flawlessly. Just want you to make an informed decision about how to approach this, should you choose to continue.

Either way, interesting idea nonetheless - good luck!

Cheers

Thanks for your answers.

What I am trying is to develop a tool for reading/writing the coordinate reference systems for some clients without AutoCAD Map or Civil.

For my use I have already a AutoCAD Map.

From what I've researched so far, this will be almost impossible because it is not supported directly with the API, and there is no documentation.