Some attributes show as default entry, others do not?

CADsince07

Hi there,

Am editing our title block.

I have several attributes. Some of them need defaults and others do not. I have set 2 of the defaults on 2 attributes and these display correctly when viewing the titleblock in a drawing. However, 2 of the other attributes do not show their defaults.....

I have tried:

- copying and pasting the attributes and just editing the values

- creating each attribute from scratch and ticking 'preset'

- matching the properties of the 2 attributes which aren't displaying correctly, to those which are displaying correctly....

- attsync

- battman & sync

Nothing seems to work? Like I said, its odd because 2 of them are working despite having the same properties? Have tried closing down CAD and restarting..... any help would be much appreciated! :geek:

It sounds like what you are describing are actually tags, not attributes. :)

As Rob suggested, if you post it, we can very quickly help you get it sorted out.

Unfortunately not allowed to post the actual block itself.

They are attributes. All copied and pasted from one single attribute. I just changed the 'tag' and 'prompt' and then for a few of them I stipulated a new 'default' value.

2 of these work (ie in the drawing you see the default value & when you double click to edit you get the prompt etc), but the other 2 (despite having identical properties) show the previous default and NOT what I have changed it to...

IE the original 'default' value for the original attribute was the word 'TEXT' however, I changed this on one of the blocks eg to 'DR'. However, this attribute still shows 'TEXT' as their default..... no amount of syncing seems to change it? YET....some of them that I have changed DO show the updated default....

Sorry I can't be more helpful.... does anyone have any ideas based on that info?

Unfortunately not allowed to post the actual block itself.

That is unfortunate. Why not post a similar "test" block for discussion purposes?

Ok.... have tried to take one apart a bbit.... can you seethat item 5 won't show the default 'FISH'? Item 1 and Item 2 show ther defaults and as far as I can tell the properties are the same.... I must be missing something obvious?

Cheers!

Test.dwg

Hmmm ok.... maybe its just not showing it updated in the drawing its in?? The drawing its in is supposed to become the template...... perhaps once we have created a new drawing from this template the attributes will display the correct default values?

I can't see any problems with how it works and behaves, could you maybe give a step by step description as to what it does and what you see going wrong, including how you use it IE is the problem with insertion or double clicking

The block is inside a drawing which will form a template once complete.

When I edit the block to set the defaults etc and then close the block editor, the block still shows the incorrect default values. This happened with a couple of the items, but once I did an 'attsync' they displayed correctly. However, Item 5 for example does not display correctly (within the drawing it is in).

I understand that you are all having no issues with it once it is inserted as a block into another drawing, which is great, but I wanted it to display correctly in the template drawing. Do you understand what I am saying?

Ok stupid question now :oops:...... if the block only exists in this drawing and I delete and purge the block from this drawing...... where do I reinsert it from? Do I need to save a copy of the drawing eleswhere which I then browse to in the design centre to insert the block from??

PS thanks for you help so far!

That's not a stupid question, that process would need you to reinsert the drawing from an external source, but you did mention a template. I have an idea, which may or may not help to see what you are aiming at, the drawing you have posted has a copy of the block but that copy has had the value of just that one attribute altered in the attribute editor. The actual block description still has a value of Fish, if you are hoping to use the model space copy of the block as the basis of a template file for inserting into other drawings then it will always insert with the value of Fish. Tho copy of the block with the value Test can be copied as often as you want around this drawing or even copied into other drawings, but you cannot insert that copy into other drawings. Or is that the intention.